Some Disturbing Cloud-Based Windows Update Stuff in 10041

NoelC

While I have to agree that it's disturbing that Comcast would set up public access using privately leased gear, I doubt they're doing it with full thought into it.  Why would they open up Internet access to one's neighbors if they hope to sell the neighbors the same service?  Yes, the idea is that Comcast subscribers might find other Comcast portals when they're out and about.  But is any wifi connection secure?  Not to mention people using up one's own bandwidth (which Comcast clearly assumes is more than you really need).  There are probably black hat sites online where people share skimmed Comcast login info.

It says that everyone is just getting more and more stupid.

All this only loosely relates to Microsoft choosing to distribute their software using my bandwidth.  But it's not a unique idea.  As one who has a computer that's on 24/7, is powerful, and is utterly reliable I've already had to turn off their Skype "Supernode" functionality.

One day, when Internet access is both provided by Microsoft themselves AND the terms of use are well-described AND the link is providing best-in-show performance, then I might start to consider allowing the use of my connection for things other than my own work.  Until then, Microsoft can stick its cloud where the sun don't shine.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Jaclaz.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC