Do You Want To Eat Another Can of Tuna ?

Monroe

A British woman opens a can of tuna and sees a pair of eyes looking at her ! ... kinda comical looking but probably not too funny ... pictures at the link.

British mom finds tongue-eating parasite inside can of tuna, experts say

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/british-mom-finds-tongue-eating-parasite-tuna-article-1.2105693

Friday, February 6, 2015

Zoe Butler spotted the critter when she was making dinner for her kids last month. She took to Twitter to ask for help identifying the unwelcome dinner guest. Experts said it is likely a Cymothoa exigua, also known as the tongue-eating louse. The beady-eyed parasites attach themselves to a fish's tongue, but are not harmful to humans, scientists said.

A British mom opened up a can of parasites when she tried to make tuna for dinner.

Zoe Butler found a tiny parasite inside a can of tuna — and scientists said it is likely a tongue-eating variety.

The Nottingham mom found the beady-eyed parasite tucked inside a can of Princes tuna chunks last month. She posted images of the alien-like creature on Twitter, hoping someone could identify her unwelcome dinner guest.

Finally, she got her answer. The parasite is probably a Cymothoa exigua, also known as the tongue-eating louse, Stuart Hine from London’s Natural History Museum told the Telegraph this week.

A Cymothoa exigua enters a fish through its gills and attaches to the host’s tongue. The parasites are not considered harmful to humans.

Hine hasn’t inspected the parasite in person and noted that only through a thorough examination could he confirm its identity; but he said the photos suggest it is a tongue-eating louse. Other experts speculated it could be a juvenile crab or a tadpole.

A spokesman for Princes said it asked Butler to send the company the parasite so it could conduct an analysis.

Butler bought the tainted can from a Nottingham grocery store last month. She was getting ready to serve it to her kids for dinner when she noticed the canned fish had eyes, she said.

"I opened the top of the lid and saw a purply thing, a gut sack or intestine — then I turned it round and pushed it with a fork and saw it looking back at me,” she told the Nottingham Post last month. It was dead when she found it.

She continued: "I haven't shown it to the kids because they might get put off eating tuna.”

Butler said she’s working with the tuna company, but she doesn’t want any compensation — and she definitely doesn’t want any free tuna.

"I just want to find out what it is and to make sure it doesn't happen to somebody else,” she told the British newspaper.