Cortana tied to the Cloud

NoelC

I suppose it's not surprising that with the latest Win 10 build the Cortana setup wants you to provide a Microsoft account to even get her out of the starting blocks.  In order to be an effective digital assistant, she (Microsoft) needs access to everything about you.

Microsoft continues to work to convince people to give over control of all their data, and is applying the leverage of "gee whiz" features as dangling carrots.  Of course there will be those of us who resist, but cloud-integrated services will become more and more prevalent and ultimately essential.

Repeat after me:  We don't need no stinkin' privacy.  We need a computer that talks to us and a company that does whatever they want with the data that defines our lives.

-Noel

I clicked on the Cortana icon and the first thing that came up was a box telling me how nosy the service was going to be.

Sorry Microsoft, but I'm not interested in you knowing everything about me. So I declined the offer and went straight to Settings to disable all privacy intrusions. Funny thing -- there didn't seem to be a listing for privacy settings anymore, I had to search for it specifically. If you didn't already know it was possible to change your privacy settings, you wouldn't search for it.

At some point while I was turning off all the privacy intrusions, I got a warning that this would disable Cortana. "Go for it!!" was my reaction. :thumbup Now the search icon in the Taskbar calls up the regular search function. Still need to see if it's possible to tell it to look ONLY on my computer, and not around the Web.

--JorgeA

We are worthless pieces of carbon that couldn't possibly have anything good to search for on our own computers.

I found a nude photo of Cortana online...

491727-skynet-terminator-1-2-3.jpg

-Noel

Well, you got ME checking out that spoiler right away! :D

--JorgeA