Fix for Hyper-Fast Win 10 Keyboard Repeat

NoelC

As you've probably noticed, Win 10 build 9879's keyboard repeat rate seems jammed at the fastest settings, and doesn't respond to the control panel.

I've developed registry settings that employ the "Filter Keys" feature in the Ease of Access center to slow things down. 

With this registry file the start of auto-repeat is slowed to 440 milliseconds, and the keys repeat at a more reasonable rate of something around 30 per second. 

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/Win10FastKeyboardRepeatFix.reg

Here's what's inside the above:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response]"Last Valid Wait"=dword:00000000"Last Valid Delay"=dword:000003e8"Last Valid Repeat"=dword:000001f4"Last BounceKey Setting"=dword:00000000"Flags"="59""DelayBeforeAcceptance"="0""AutoRepeatRate"="20""AutoRepeatDelay"="440""BounceTime"="0"

The following registry file disables "Filter Keys" and returns Windows to the default settings.  If you employ the above, after the next build drop I suggest running the following and see if Microsoft has fixed the problem (they've acknowledged it and said it will be fixed in a future build).

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/Win10KeyboardRepeatReturnToDefault.reg

The above contains:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response]"Last Valid Wait"=dword:00000000"Last Valid Delay"=dword:000003e8"Last Valid Repeat"=dword:000001f4"Last BounceKey Setting"=dword:00000000"Flags"="58""DelayBeforeAcceptance"="0""AutoRepeatRate"="500""AutoRepeatDelay"="1000""BounceTime"="0"

If you're at all skeptical about running .reg files from other folks (as you should be), I encourage you to download them and look inside before running them.

-Noel

If I get this right, changing the "Flags" value to 59 enables *something*, and resetting it to 58 disables it. :unsure:

So one could open Regedit, change the "AutoRepeatRate" to "20" and the "AutoRepeatDelay" to "440" (or other sensible values) "permanently" and use just the Flags value to flip the thing on and off, leaving the other values changed.

It seemingly has not changed much since Windows 7:

http://superuser.com/questions/388160/keyboard-repeat-rate-repeat-delay-values-in-win7

and not even XP or earlier.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/dd318079(v=vs.85).aspx

possibly the 59 is hex 3B coming from 1+2+8+10+20 hex?

Maybe you could check if this thingy here works on 10:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41881.0

jaclaz

If you're at all skeptical about running .reg files from other folks (as you should be), I encourage you to download them and look inside before running them.

Which is why it is also a good idea to change the default behavior of double-clicking a .reg file from merge to edit, so .reg files don't get run accidentally. They can still be easily run with "right-click, open with, Registry Editor". A little more inconvenient, but a lot safer.

Cheers and Regards

So one could open Regedit, change the "AutoRepeatRate" to "20" and the "AutoRepeatDelay" to "440" (or other sensible values) "permanently" and use just the Flags value to flip the thing on and off, leaving the other values changed.

Yeah, basically.

This is behavior that can be set directly through the UI, via the "Ease of Access Center", but there's no way to get exactly the values I coded (which match my best-ever-made LK250 keyboard).

The values don't respond to the normal control panel settings; apparently this functionality is added to do things for people who are pushing keys with things like forehead sticks.  But it's capable of throttling the key rate back, so it's useful for the moment.  I imagine the next major drop of Win 10 will have it fixed, and (just guessing here) a brand spanking new Metro control panel that will let you configure almost as many things as you can configure today with the Win32 control panel app.

-Noel

... a brand spanking new Metro control panel that will let you configure almost as many things as you can configure today with the Win32 control panel app.

UNlikely. :no:

The new Metro  NCI Control Panel will be called "Flipper" :w00t: and will allow the user to choose between two main settings:

• Automagical setting we determined to be optimal for forehead sticks, one-size-fits-all
  • Something else we wont' tell you, you'd better choose the other setting advised.

;)

jaclaz