Forum Editor Doesn't Work with Win 10's IE "Experimental&#

NoelC

Heads up:

I've noticed I can't even drop an insertion cursor in the editor box with Windows 10 TP's IE set to "Experimental Web Platform Features: Enabled".  This could be the indication of an upcoming forum problem when the next version of IE is released...

IEExperimentalMode.png

-Noel

Heads up:

I've noticed I can't even drop an insertion cursor in the editor box with Windows 10 TP's IE set to "Experimental Web Platform Features: Enabled".  This could be the indication of an upcoming forum problem when the next version of IE is released...

Actually it seems to me like an actual possibly upcoming Explorer (or user :ph34r:) problem.

Maybe it is "experimental" for a reason.

Surely when the issue will come (IF it will be an issue) the IPB software guys will update their software (and in the process they will botch, as always, half of the board, and it will take our poor admins months to fix it :().

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Actually it seems to me like an actual possibly upcoming Explorer (or user :ph34r:) problem.

[...]

Surely when the issue will come (IF it will be an issue) the IPB software guys will update their software (and in the process they will botch, as always, half of the board, and it will take our poor admins months to fix it :().

This is unfortunately probably true. Folks like Noel will complain that the board doesn't work right with the latest version of IE, such as what happened with IE11, but whatever issues occur will most likely be out of the board's staff's control or ability to directly fix. Any changes to the board software are dependent on the good "IPB software guys" to provide any board software updates, when and if they get around to it. All we can do is pass the errors along and see if the errors are deemed to be the "fault" of the board software. The good "IPB software guys" have also been known to claim that the behavior is "by design", or claim that they can't reproduce the error.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers and Regards

It has never worked completely right with IE11, by the way.  But the number of glitches is down to a near-manageable level now - which is how we know it's time for a new browser.

It never ceases to amaze me that web programmers can be so uninterested in the next release of the OS (it's not just the "good IPB guys").  Adobe is another one that only swings into action months (if not years) after a new browser release, and never quite gets their web programming right (they apparently buy theirs from Jive).

Tell me again why it's good to buy or lease forum software?  And how the heck do people continue to actually get paid to write software that's so stupidly buggy?

So I have to ask...  Do the folks who comprise the "board's staff" pass observations such as mine on to the authors?  And if so, do they keep on top of them until they answer?  And if they don't answer, do they consider alternatives? 

Do the software authors participate in Microsoft's (and others') programs where they can pass feedback about things that don't work back to the browser authors?

Man, the day Win 10 came out I made sure all my software worked with it, and I re-check it every new build.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Unfortunately, I believe that many software developers are not as proactive as you are.

I'm sure that someone on this board's staff does pass errors their users find back to the IPB software guys.  From my experience with the IPB software on another forum, I know the way to get the best response from them is with a video clip showing exactly what happens, or doesn't, when you do a certain thing and expect a certain result.  It also must be repeatable.  And I'm sure the staff here knows this and passes on info in an appropriate manner.

I have heard that there is an updated release of the IPB software due soon, if it hasn't already been applied here, so maybe the WIN10 errors, and maybe even the remaining IE11 errors, will be addressed.  But if not, I can also understand if the IPB software folks say something like "Why should we fix an error which effects software that has not even been officially released and might change yet again when it gets to RTM?  The error might not exist at that point."  I'm sure they would not be the only software company that takes that approach, depending on the errors involved.  And that's not even taking into account jaclaz's point about the feature that causes your problem being "experimental".

Anyway, all that is to say that while I'm sure the errors you find will be passed on, and I realize that you might run this board differently, that is the way I understand the board currently has to deal with the software they have and with the equipment, people and resources they have access to.

Think good thoughts, smile a lot, have infinite patience, and don't give the board staff too hard a time.  They all do their best to support us, for free, in their spare time. :)

Cheers and Regards

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of the staff here (I hope my post didn't come off that way).

And I do have near-infinite patience.  I use Windows 8.1 after all.

-Noel

JFYI, I am instead heavy critical on the good IPB board guys as they not only regularly (at each friggin' board update) make something not work anymore, but they  tend to also "botch" previous contents. (it is like they are only interested in people creating new boards, to the hell the long established ones and their contents).

When you post about a bug they historically have  no idea :no:  - besides NOT being interested in the least in solving it - on how to manage the issue, often they are not even able to understand in what the bug consists.

On the other hand, one way or the other, the good MSFN Admin(s) :thumbup *somehow* managed to make all the IPB bugs at least "tolerable" (and believe me this does not happen on other boards), it's not at all their fault if the process, at each board change, takes often a lot of time.

jaclaz