Uhhhh Microsoft? Care to explain this?

DoubleSAnimations

I stumbled across this and I was rather shocked. Math Input Accessory still retains the EXACT layout of one of Windows 7's window layouts.

Note the Caption button is not like the rest, and the sides of the Window frame are shiny, ALSO the round frames. Why wasn't this changed? And more importantly, Where are the sources for this Window layout.

nBFx9MV.png

This just in.... i started applying some other themes, and ..... I'm not rly pleased with this 

(Aero Glass is turned off btw)

quzn5IQ.png

^
Using Aero Consumer Preview theme.

vI7XgVq.png

^
AeroLite

And Lastly....

19p0QoH.png

^
High Contrast 2. As you can see the Math Input Accessories is transparent in High Contrast Mode.

What happened here?

Isn't that the same look when you run an app in compatibility mode for a previous version of Windows? I'm not sure if it's aerolite or just something for compat mode but I've seen it in Win8 before

When you run an app in compatibility mode, the side-borders shrink but retain the theme you currently use. However when you run an app in compatibility mode in Windows XP SP3 or lower. The window frame of that program opens in Basic Mode

Like in the following pic here.

0LZh20m.png

This is Microsoft Paint from Windows XP. Running in compatibility mode under Windows XP Service Pack 3. (However this can still run normally without in compatibility mode.)

Edited by DoubleSAnimations

Some applications turn off the system-generated chrome and do all their own drawing of UI elements in the client area.

Why they would WANT to do that, I can't imagine, but they do - think Office 365/2013, for example.

It's not hard to envision someone having re-implemented the chrome themselves, to match the theme of the then current Windows.  We now see the fallacy of having done that.

It's like Microsoft wants to make it okay for everyone to be sloppy, and create unintegrated applications.  They're doing it themselves with Metro apps in Win 10.  The chrome of those doesn't match the other windows.

-Noel

Some applications turn off the system-generated chrome and do all their own drawing of UI elements in the client area.

Why they would WANT to do that, I can't imagine, but they do - think Office 365/2013, for example.

It's not hard to envision someone having re-implemented the chrome themselves, to match the theme of the then current Windows.  We now see the fallacy of having done that.

It's like Microsoft wants to make it okay for everyone to be sloppy, and create unintegrated applications.  They're doing it themselves with Metro apps in Win 10.  The chrome of those doesn't match the other windows.

-Noel

I see what you mean. Supposely if they were to continue "Unifying" the Desktop and Modern UI in Windows 10, wouldn't the default Windows 10 theme match the Modern UI atlas?

I see what you mean. Supposely if they were to continue "Unifying" the Desktop and Modern UI in Windows 10, wouldn't the default Windows 10 theme match the Modern UI atlas?

No. :no:

That would happen IF they were not MS.

We know how they have a quirk for creating standards (or pretending to create standards) and never respect them integrally nor to actually respect *any* actual standard completely.

It's their "way of computing". :yes:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

No. :no:

That would happen IF they were not MS.

We know how they have a quirk for creating standards (or pretending to create standards) and never respect them integrally nor to actually respect *any* actual standard completely.

It's their "way of computing". :yes:

jaclaz

Oh.... well then.. I guess we can expect some messy properties for themers constructing themes .... jeez... they're all over the place.

Yes, no respect for theme...

NoRespectForTheme.png

I recall a release note for 9879 that said something like "got title bar right for Apps" or similar.

We can only hope they'll clean up their act.

-Noel

Yea i defintately saw this too. I really hope this gets fixed to. Welp. Time for feedback. =D