DVD drive not refreshing when changing discs

doveman

My brother's Liteon DVD drive isn't working properly and continues to show the same files even when the disc is ejected or changed.

I disabled the Windows CD Burning feature in case that was causing it and rebooted but that didn't help.

I killed Explorer and restarted it and it still didn't update, although it did a bit after that. Sometimes it does update but it's rather intermittent. My brother says the drive is spinning up as it normally would when a disc is inserted and instead it just makes a brief noise.

Does it sound like the drive is knackered and needs replacing or is there anything else I can try first?

If it needs replacing, can anyone recommend a good, reliable drive for ripping and writing DVDs and CDs? I don't think flashable firmware to remove region limitations and so on is as important as it used to be, as he has DVDFab Passkey software now for that.

Often (but of course not always) disassembling a CD or DVD drive and cleaning it thoroughly solves this kind of problems.

Typically, whenever a disk is inserted (please read as the tray is closed) the head with the laser pickup "seeks" for the disc tracks and if it fails to detect a disc *whatever* is in the cache remains there.

Both a dirty laser lens or any kind of dirt making the head "sticky" can  prevent this to be done (the "queer sound" may be the head failing to move as expected to get to the track due to some dirt or dried up lubricant on the sled).

jaclaz

OK, thanks. I'll suggest it to my brother but I doubt he'll feel confident enough to do anything more than stick a head cleaning disc in, so he'll probably just have to buy a new drive.

Well, of course it's up to him :), but it is not particularly difficult/complex, anyone with a minimum of patience/attention can do it, see this as an example:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/139328-disc-drive-unable-to-eject/

jaclaz