A Little Change Made to the MVPS Hosts File

Monroe

Not sure when this actually happened, I guess since Windows 8.1 was released. I have been using the MVPS Hosts File for years but today I just noticed this little paragraph update notice under the July-08-2014 update.

MVPS HOSTS

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Important Note: The HOSTS file now contains a change in the prefix in the HOSTS entries to "0.0.0.0" instead of the usual "127.0.0.1".

This was done to resolve a slowdown issue that occurs with the change Microsoft made in the "TCP loopback interface" in Win8.1.

This change in the prefix should not affect users. I've had some feedback and COMODO antivirus, Homer Webserver and System Mechanic seems to have issues with the "0.0.0.0" prefix ... to resolve this issue:

You can use the "Replace" function in Notepad to convert the entries, or HostsMan (see below) has an option for converting the entries to "0.0.0.0".

If this proves to be a permanent fix ... I will update the website to reflect the changes.

... it still seems to be OK with XP ... just a "heads up" on this change since  Windows 8.1 was released.

Edited by monroe

Thanks for mentioning Web Bubba ... never heard of it so I will check it out.

Just to add to my first post ... I also use SpywareBlaster along with the MVPS Hosts File and I manually insert the hosts file into the "etc" folder. I used to use the auto update with Windows 98SE but it didn't seem to work right with XP, so I just update it myself. I like them both for the extra protection on XP.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

SpywareBlaster

https://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html

Edited by monroe

I use eDexter. I'm interested in comparison between these tiny webservers because I can't seem to find detailed documentation about any of them - which are the filetypes they support (detailed list), javascript yes/no, any other scripts etc.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi ... thanks for the eDexter mention, I never heard of it also. I will check it out. Maybe this is also news to other people.

You use the term "tiny webservers" ... I am not familiar with the name. Would be interested in any additional information if you do some tests or come across test results from someone else.

Are there more of these of these little programs out there? Would you still use the MVPS Hosts File and SpywareBlaster with them?

thanks ...

I abandoned Spyware Blaster because it made unsolicited changes to the Hosts file (I already manage it myself, and SB didn't like some things), and was getting slow and pointless... I never get infected because I use strict policy "don't install anything ever on a live system".

I also heard about Web Bubba just now, and was aware of existence of Homer, but when (a long time ago) I tried to find out more about it, there was no detailed info about filetype. Maybe the situation has changed.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

Not sure vinifera what program you are talking about as working fine under Windows 7 ... maybe SpywareBlaster?

GrofLuigi ... I have never noticed any problems with my XP setup, everything seems very fast.

SpywareBlaster is not supposed to slow things down, it doesn't run, as I understand it ... for now it seems to work OK with XP along with MVPS Hosts File in my setup.

SpywareBlaster:

* doesn't slow down web browsing

* doesn't interfere with the "good side" of the web

* doesn't slow down your computer

* doesn't use up any memory or take any cpu

Perhaps there may be problems for others ... I'm not seeing anything on my side at this time. Maybe in the future that will change with a newer version.