Any luck with QupZilla or Opera 12.1x on Windows 98SE/Me?

danikayser84

Right now I'm using Opera 11.64 and Firefox 3.6.28 on my ThinkPad 600X (with 576MB of RAM and Windows 98SE)... I wanted to try something slightly more modern however; I tried QupZilla a while ago (1.6.2 I believe?) and it kept crashing on startup, also curious as to whether anyone has gotten Opera 12.16 working on 98SE or Me (both seem to work fine out of the box on Windows 2000 with BWC KernelEx and UURollup) :)

When I try to run Opera 12.16 on Windows 98, I get the message "The application could not load because Opera.dll failed to initialize." Don't know how to fix this yet.

When I try to run Opera 12.16 on Windows 98, I get the message "The application could not load because Opera.dll failed to initialize." Don't know how to fix this yet.

12.02 was the last to work with kernelEx on 98/Me. Now, dont take my word on this, but I remember reading somewhere here, or on the internet, but anyway if I recall you can get newer versions' of opera (no later than 12.16) to work if you use an older opera.dll. I never got the time to try it out, because...

1. You dont need a newer version of opera if your using 11.64 for that version is the oldest to render pages great. (I noticed no differences between 11.64 and 12.02... tested with google)

2. opera 11 is faster than 12 so why would you want to go up a version.

If you want to go up a version because of addons, I recommend you download opera 12.02 to get the addons you want, then convert back to 11.64. The addons will work great once installed on 11.64.

I really like a Opera 11, and 12.02, but Opera 12.17 is patched for the Heartbleed bug so I find it critical to try.

I will let you know and see what happens.

I did not even know there was an opera 12.17. Time to upgrade opera on vista. Try it out and tell us how it goes. it won't hurt to try.

... but Opera 12.17 is patched for the Heartbleed bug...

I thought the heartbleed bug was a mishandling of a variable (some sort of "heart-beat" function) having to do with SSL (or something that normally a server that handles SSL authentication). In other words, why would a client device be vulnerable to heart-bleed? How (or why) would a browser contain SSL-server functionality? (it's my understanding that the only time a consumer-operated client device would expose itself to a heart-bleed condition is if it were sharing files in an unsecured setting, like a public wifi situation - which is not a typical or common use-case).

About Opera and Heartbleed - actually the browser itself isn't affected by this bug. That was only autoupdater exe that was affected and is fixed in 12.17. And since it connects to Opera update servers only, this bug could have been used only if somebody had placed malicious code on these Opera servers or hacked your DNS. Thus there is not much sense to update - you can simply delete Opera autoupdater if you are that much worried about heartbleed.

Actually I don't update Opera since 12.14. It seems that its stability and site display just goes a bit worse with each subsequent release. And though they fixed some minor security flaws, it seems that there are no actual cases of exploiting them at all because noone targets older versions Opera 12.

Edited by M()zart