My thoughts on vBulletin 3.0 and IPB 1.3

b0rk

I've really tried to get used to vBulletin 3.0, I've installed it on my *play* server but OMG it's plain gawdy. :/

It's great to see that MSFN is using IPB and I hope this won't change anytime soon. IPB just feels "more natural" to use than vBulletin.

Interestingly vBulletin is not *free* and IPB is! :)

I'd be interested in reading what you think about comparing vB to IPB.

To me it's a no brainer. IPB is tops. Version 2.0 (Alpha(?)) of IPB is looking even nicer.

vBulletin = slugish, plain and costs!!

IPB = quick, sexeh and free..

pretty much sums it up :)

I would have to disagree.

I've been using IBF for years, many many years and recently upgraded eMax forums to vB and I can say I really like it. It's fast if used right and has many features. The only thing I can say s vB has so many features the admin panel can be very confusing for a newbie.

First I was going to comment about how you can't compare vB 3.0 to IPB 1.3, because of the obvious gap between releases. Then I realized, 1.3 still kicks the crap out of vB even with their release of 3.0.

Come the release of IPB 2.0, I think it'd be a good time for a head to head review. I've got 2.0 installed on localhost and I love it. :rolleyes:

Oh, and IPB is not free. Go check out the huge 10 something page discussion on it at the official forums. Gims0 knows what I'm talking about :)

First I was going to comment about how you can't compare vB 3.0 to IPB 1.3, because of the obvious gap between releases. Then I realized, 1.3 still kicks the crap out of vB even with their release of 3.0.

Come the release of IPB 2.0, I think it'd be a good time for a head to head review. I've got 2.0 installed on localhost and I love it.  :D

Oh, and IPB is not free. Go check out the huge 10 something page discussion on it at the official forums. Gims0 knows what I'm talking about  :)

There is a free version of IPB without support! :rolleyes:

IPB > Vb, especially Vb3, christ is that board UGLY!

IPB 2.0 is looking to be amazing.

& @ Doggie: Totally agree with the description of "ugly" for vB, and what about those lame emoticons that are in vB by standard? :/ Not good really.

And from the preview of IPB 2.0 I've seen it's going to be the best board product out there. For sure!

:)

There is a free version of IPB without support! :)

It's not free, it's a trial, and that was made quite clear in this thread.

Don't get us wrong, it's not a pay or get off the bus attitude. We're just trying to help people understand the purpose of the trial, and get away from the notion that it's the 'free version', 'lite version', or 'the version you use if you don't want support'. All three of those are incorrect. We're happy for people to use the trial, otherwise we wouldn't offer it.

I have leaned towards IPB because I have had more experience with it, both as a member, moderator, and administrator.

IPB includes features which administrators and moderators need, while providing a nice interface for members to use which all loads quickly.

From my experiences with vB 3 as a member on some sites, it is slower to load, and it includes a lot of needless features which bloat the product out of contention.

I do kinda like the look of vB 3, but that is just my personal preference.