Scan Android phone on Windows PC?

I've been using my first smartphone for a few months now, and as my use of it increases I feel an increasing need to protect it with some kind of antivirus/antimalware solution.

At the same time, I would prefer not to register for the Google Store (or whatever they call it), as I have zero confidence that Google will not continue to track me and monitor my travels around the Web, no matter whether I've "signed out" of their store. Thus, the following occurred to me:

Linux to Windows; how about Windows to Linux?

We already have Linux-based live CDs that are used to virus-scan Windows PCs, so could it work in the other direction: might it be possible to scan an Android (Linux) phone from a Windows PC?

Linux to Linux?

Barring that, how about connecting the Android phone to the computer, then booting up an antivirus Linux live CD and scanning the phone with it?

I do know about sideloading Android apps outside of the Google store, but AFAICT you need first to install a file explorer app in order to do that, which requires a visit to the Google store (thus defeating the purpose). What I'd like to focus on here is whether it's possible to scan an Android phone for malware with a Linux or Windows AV application.

Any thoughts? is this a silly/crazy idea?

--JorgeA

Thanks very much, jaclaz

Step 4 of the first link that you kindly provided requires me to

Open your file browser app (my personal favorite is ASTRO [Market Link]) and locate the APK (Android Package) file.

Obviously, I'd rather install a file browser without signing up for the Google store. The F-Droid repository that you also linked to, seems to have a couple of file browsers listed. The most promising-looking one I've seen so far is Ghost Commander.

But I'd still be curious to know the answer to the question that I did ask. ;)

--JorgeA

Update:

I'm facing what we could call a recursive (or question-begging) issue.

The information for installing the ESET security app outside the Google store suggests using a file manager to browse to the APK and then tapping to Install. OK, I can understand that. But, if using a file manager is the way to install an app without the Google store, then how do you install the file manager itself without the Google store? By definition, before that's installed there is not yet a file manager that you can use to browse to the file manager app in order to install it.

I have checked all the file manager apps available on that F-Droid site, and none of them give any instructions as to how to install their apps.

The method must be so simple to do that it requires no explanation. But, as an Android noob, I don't know what that method might be.

I suppose I could start downloading and tapping and see what happens, but I prefer to first understand the process, lest I screw things up on the phone.

--JorgeA

Thanks a bunch, jaclaz.

I installed the F-Droid app manager, then used it to install the Ghost Commander, and then I used that to install Eset Mobile Security. :)

Much appreciated! :thumbup

--JorgeA

Thanks a bunch, jaclaz.

I installed the F-Droid app manager, then used it to install the Ghost Commander, and then I used that to install Eset Mobile Security. :)

Much appreciated! :thumbup

--JorgeA

You see, sometimes you need to ask the right questions ;).

:lol:

jaclaz

I did (and still) want to know specifically if an Android phone can be scanned on a Windows PC.

At first, when I started the thread, I wanted to know that because I'd spent some time looking into sideloading apps onto smartphones, and every discussion I'd come across talked about installing a file manager... but no one that I saw discussed how to install a file browser without recourse to the Google store. That question was left hanging. At the same time, though, I was undecided if I even wanted to install both a file browser and an AV app onto my smartphone, and therefore the idea of "scanning from outside" was a conceivable alternative.

Thanks to your help :) , the issue of how to install a file browser was solved by the discovery of that F-Droid app manager. So then I had to decide whether to install, now three apps (the app manager, the file browser, and then the AV). I chose to be adventurous ;) and took the plunge, what the heck.

But I'd still like to know, from anybody, the answer to the thread question: It could serve as a "second opinion" on-demand scan, much the way that one might use (say) an AVG live CD as a double check on the results of a resident Kaspersky scan.

--JorgeA

The point is that you don't really-really have (anymore) access to the actual internal device on Android, see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/159227-does-xp-have-same-usb-mass-storage-driver-as-vista/

(seemingly unrelated)

and:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162913-portable-devices-via-mtp-driver-in-windows-98/

Look in the linked to pages:

http://www.jfdesignnet.com/?p=2291

and (the quintessence of the stupidity of the decision):

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11/18/impromptu-qa-session-with-android-engineer-dan-morrill-brings-to-light-reasons-behind-galaxy-nexus-lack-of-usb-mass-storage/

Basically in recent Android versions there is not (anymore) the possibility of "exposing" the device as a "Mass Storage Device", but only as MTP/PTP (Media Transfer Protocol/Picture Transfer Protocol) unless you re-activate the feature, like (example):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2350542

which may (or may not) work on your particular device/version of Android (and AFAIK there are only ways to restore the Mass Storage accesss to the SD card, not to the internal storage), like (example):

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/usb-mass-storage-app-for-recent-samsung-devices/

So, even if it would be possible to scan an "offline" Android system, it is now particularly difficult to have access to it via USB.

Of course you could always do a "physical acquisition" of the internal storage (given that you have the appropriate tools and knowledge) and scan that, but it is not something "common" or "easy".

jaclaz

That's a bummer.

But thank you for looking into it, this does seem to answer the question in the OP. Not all hope is lost, but as you point out there's a lot of homework to do first.

FWIW, I ran an Eset scan on the smartphone, and it finished within a fraction of a second, reporting that it had scanned a grand total of 14 (?!) files. As there are obviously more than 14 files existing on the phone, I'll go in and see if there's a setting that needs to be changed. Or maybe the small total is related in some way to the limitations that you just reported. When I get the chance to, I'll visit the Eset forum and ask if this small total is normal/expected.

--JorgeA

FWIW, I ran an Eset scan on the smartphone, and it finished within a fraction of a second, reporting that it had scanned a grand total of 14 (?!) files. As there are obviously more than 14 files existing on the phone, I'll go in and see if there's a setting that needs to be changed.

It is very possible that it just scans the "executables" or "apps". :unsure:

jaclaz