Windows Vista on AMD FX

AnX

Is there anyway to optimize the AMD FX scheduler in Windows Vista like a hotfix did in WIndows 7? I need Windows Vista to take priority of cores 1, 3, 5, 7 instead of cores 2, 4, 6, 8., just like how the hotfix does it in Windows 7.

Is it also possible to make the hotfix compatible with Windows Vista?

Is there anyway to optimize the AMD FX scheduler in Windows Vista like a hotfix did in WIndows 7? I need Windows Vista to take priority of cores 1, 3, 5, 7 instead of cores 2, 4, 6, 8., just like how the hotfix does it in Windows 7.

Is it also possible to make the hotfix compatible with Windows Vista?

I don't know if it's possibler to make the hotfix compatible with Windows Vista or not. But other than that, Windows Vista will run on the AMD FX processor even though they don't fully support it and there are chances that you may run into some performace issues. I'm going for the quad-core AMD FX-4300 and I sure hope that Windows Vista SP2 will work with the new motherboard without any major problems.

The last time Windows Vista was sold legally and only as a pre-loaded OS was on 22 October 2011. Since that date, OEM system builders were no longer permitted to pre-load Windows Vista on new computers which is the reason why vendors were no longer allowed to test Windows Vista installations on a computer with a motherboard that has a AMD FX-based processor. The only way Vista can be tested is by the end user who installs Windows Vista.

Edited by ppgrainbow

It should work for the most part I guess, but you might have to do this on some apps that don't use all cores.

That is, until you can get a hotfix for Vista up and running

6a43e314344869935ed05376000b6102.png

I doubt you'd have to do it as much on the FX-4300 though, it's really only for the 6-core and 8 core

Edited by AnX

It should work for the most part I guess, but you might have to do this on some apps that don't use all cores.

That is, until you can get a hotfix for Vista up and running

6a43e314344869935ed05376000b6102.png

I doubt you'd have to do it as much on the FX-4300 though, it's really only for the 6-core and 8 core

Thanks so much for the help. I can't wait to get the new PC and the Processor Affinity tool to control which executables should control one of the four cores. :)

THIS JUST IN: One of my friends have installed Windows Vista on their FX 8 core, and after running Windows Update, Windows Vista Sp2 actually utilizes the FX properly, and works better than even 7 on it!

So all you have to do is to run Windows update, and Vista will support the CPU.

THIS JUST IN: One of my friends have installed Windows Vista on their FX 8 core, and after running Windows Update, Windows Vista Sp2 actually utilizes the FX properly, and works better than even 7 on it!

So all you have to do is to run Windows update, and Vista will support the CPU.

OMG! How awesome it would sound for Windows Vista to support eight cores! :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
AnX, on 17 Feb 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Well, I tried it myself, and the hotfix isn't installing. Strange, I ran updates for quite a while too.

I know how you feel.

The good news is that I'm finally on my first new desktop computer in more than 13 years! :thumbup

Mmmm... problem appears to (partially) the fact that some of those (?maybe all) FX 8-Core are "defined" as 4 Physical Cores and 8 Logical Cores? A Windows7 Hotfix reference (all from google say the same thing) -

https://teksyndicate.com/forum/cpu/amd-fx-8350-hotfixespatches/131535

More info (near the end) -

http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?3996-FX-8120-showing-as-4-core

Edited by submix8c

@ppgrainbow. It's good to hear that you are enjoying your new computer, but why did you have to get rid of 2k? You could have used your old pc as a secondary computer.

The reason is power consumption and speed issues. When I was on Windows 2000 on a unicore processor with 2 GB DDR RAM, it prevented me from browsing the web and running flash player at native speed regardless of the fact that I had UURollup installed. As for power consumption, I simply not have to use so much electricity as I will soon have to get rid of the old 60 watt CRT TV in favour of a PCIe TV tuner card.

With that said, I backed up all of the data to a hard disk image, wipe all of the data and is now planning to either sell the old PC or recycle it completely if no one is interested in it.

Well, it's pretty important to have a speedy computer. Also, even though it's still usable, 2000 and XP have both reached their age and I could see why you'd want to upgrade. I mainly use Windows 8 now.

Also, I don't get how computers use different quantities of electricity, but I'm not a hardware nor electricity expert. If you have 4 GB RAM or better with Vista, you have a pretty fast computer. For browsers, IE 9 is the latest that will run. It seems to freeze quite often on my system, but could be different with yours. I find that Firefox and Chrome seem to work really good with it. I personally find that Office 2007 seems to crash often on Vista, but any other office suite or version of Office will work really well.

Also, if you don't have it already, I would recommend that you get SP2, since that installs many updates.

Just trying to give you a few basic tips. I hope you enjoy your new PC.

ironman14, on 02 Mar 2014 - 6:51 PM, said:ironman14, on 02 Mar 2014 - 6:51 PM, said:

Well, it's pretty important to have a speedy computer. Also, even though it's still usable, 2000 and XP have both reached their age and I could see why you'd want to upgrade. I mainly use Windows 8 now.

Also, I don't get how computers use different quantities of electricity, but I'm not a hardware nor electricity expert. If you have 4 GB RAM or better with Vista, you have a pretty fast computer. For browsers, IE 9 is the latest that will run. It seems to freeze quite often on my system, but could be different with yours. I find that Firefox and Chrome seem to work really good with it. I personally find that Office 2007 seems to crash often on Vista, but any other office suite or version of Office will work really well.

Also, if you don't have it already, I would recommend that you get SP2, since that installs many updates.

Just trying to give you a few basic tips. I hope you enjoy your new PC.

Thanks again! :)

Windows Vista would run far much better with memory maxed out at 32 GB RAM. On some motherboards, mainly server ones, Windows Vista will run with up to 128 GB RAM. If more than 128 GB of memory is installed, Windows Vista 64-bit will only recognise 128 GB unless the OS is upgraded to either Windows 7 or Windows 8.

By the way, I had to apply Windows Vista SP1 first and then update it to SP2.

Edited by ppgrainbow