Removing the "are you sure" registry pop-up message?

petrus

Is there a way to permanently disable the following pop-up message which appears when merging .reg files? This:

"Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly. If you do not trust the source of this information in (path to registry file), do not add it to the registry. Are you sure you want to continue?"

It's driving me nuts, and even after searching around Google for a while i couldn't figure it out. Thanks.

<EDIT />
And solved, just adding the /s silent switch to the registry does the trick:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command]@="regedit.exe /s \"%1\""

This way registry files are merged without any confirmation pop up whatsoever!

Edited by Yzöwl
Two concurrent posts merged and code box added

I disabled the notification pop-up for the recycle bin as well..use to drive me nuts..plus if file is deleted by mistake you can always retrieve it from the recycle bin as well (provided you have not done the empty)..DP

Edited by DosProbie

Good luck with never accidentally invoking one!

Exactly. This is what is meant by working without a net.

BqwfwzT.jpg

( Image Source: here )

Just IMHO but this is an incredibly bad idea. It's bad enough that .REG files have that association in the first place ( it is much better to assign them to a text editor, not REGEDIT.EXE ), but the latest dumbing down of the Windows shell includes possible single click execution ( "OPEN" verb ) of files, or worse, no click execution thanks to touchpads opening the object when the pointer is held over it for a period of time!

That last warning can be literally like a lifeboat to safety. Imagine you have a folder full of saved .REG files ( which would be really dangerous if they are complete system exports perhaps from other computers, or has deleted keys like [-HKEY ) and you are poking around that folder and the touchpad sends a complete 100 MB export ( HKLM/System included ) to REGEDIT silently. You will blow away so many system settings before it finally fails ( because it will crap out on some keys you cannot modify on a live system ).

My advice is to assign .REG to an editor.

For importing REG scripts I keep a shortcut icon to REGEDIT.EXE available ( Quicklaunch or Desktop ) for manually dropping .REG files on. This still provides that last warning too as long as you don't edit that shortcut and add the /s switch.

If you insist on saving that microsecond of effort of clicking away that warning, then I suggest studying for the worst case scenario of how to replace a FUBAR'd registry ( you will be on a functioning live system that now has a corrupted registry on disk but you won't see the effects until the next reboot ).

It is not an easy thing on NT to exchange hives, and this assumes that you managed to save good backup copies of the current working one.

EDIT: before someone mentions it, in that photo it looks like the guy has a safety line attached to the tightrope dragging behind him ( still a scary photo! ). Consider that little safety line equivalent to that last REGEDIT warning prompt. :yes:

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Nicko McBrain says: He is a big boy and understands the risk.

I see no difference here than if he were to go randomly double clicking a folder full of .cmd or .vbs files which can do equal if not more damage.

Anyone have the same setting for powershell.

Edited by MrJinje