PLS HELP: insert dpms disk winsetupfromusb

Ldg

Trying to put XP on hp mini 311 netbook ..choosing option 1 or 2...at least sata drive is recognized which is further than I got before... I choose the partition...all seems well...setup is starting... Then I am prompted to "insert the disk labeled dpms chennel etc...press enter or f3 to quit...pressing enter does nothing... I don't know why it's prompting for the drivers when they obviously were detected in the first step... I'm lost

What version of the program did you use?

Does that happen with both Single and Double floppy option?

What is the Hardware ID and driver name detected? You can see it when you select either of the DPMS options, something like

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_XXXX&CC_010X name=XXXXXXX

Mind you, on picky machines DPMS may not work, the safest bet always is to integrate BTS mass storage driver pack with Text Mode option selected, or simply switch the disk controller to IDE/Compatible mode in BIOS.

Just do today so I have the latest 1.0... Single or double... Can't see the driver as screen blanks out too fast... I am seeing my hard disk with partitions so all seems well to that point... I select partition... Setup starts... Then I get the prompt for floppy... I did not press f6 so I don't know why...

Start again from USB, select Double floppies menu entry.

When you return to the menu, press the key "c" to enter command prompt. Then type:

ls (0)/

(0 is zero, not the letter "o") and press enter. Make a note of the output and post it back. Or better off take a picture of the screen and post it.

Then type:

cat (0)/txtsetup.oem

and press enter. Make a note of the output and post it back. Or better off take a picture of the screen and post it.

It's irrelevant that you get past the partitioning screen. On picky machines this is expected behaviour- Setup would fail to maintain and use the contents of the virtual floppies created and ask for the files.

Lets try using Firadisk or WinVBlock as helper driver.

Replace DPMS.iso in \DPMS folder on the USB disk with the one in the attached archive. Might need to make the new file contiguous using WinContig in \files\tools\RMPrepUsb\WinContig folder.

Then modify in Notepad winsetup.lst in the USB root.

Replace both instances of

set FIRA=0

with

set FIRA=2

Replace

/dpms2.g4b 0 

with

/dpms2.g4b 2

Put # sign in front of both of these lines or just delete the whole line, should be present twice in your menu:

map (0) (1)

so they look like

#map (0) (1)

Next try Setup using only the Double floppy option.

DPMS.7z

Thx for the help.

Did all your steps (only found one instance of fira and map lines)

Tried install again.

With dual floppies I get the following resp

With single... starts install..select partition then...I get the request for floppy

post-383801-0-00140300-1383625610_thumb.

With dual floppies I get the following resp

Did you extract DMPS.iso from the attached archive above and replace the original one in DPMS folder on the USB disk?

Please make sure you do exact steps. There should have been two instances of the mentioned lines.

There is no need at all to test single floppy option.

yes I did all that... twice now iwith different xp iso's...

That's weird... I am testing on my side as well and it goes as it should.

I still can find only find one instance of the set fira and map entries...

Sorry, my bad, ignore this for now.

Try the corrected winsetup.lst in the zip file attached. Triple check the correct DPMS.ISO file is in \DPMS folder. Open it up with 7-zip and confirm there are FIRA and WINV folders in it.

winsetup.zip

Thank so much.

That winsetup file did the trick. Been struggling with this project to get Xp on this hp netbook for a while. Even with the sata drivers integrated into the install image, nothing worked. Tried Rufus, poweriso, wintoflash, and then found winsetupfromusb.

Great support here...thanks again