Open letter to bigmuscle - DRM

SwampFox56

Thought I'd post my open letter to bigmuscle in order to get other member of the communities, feedback on the matter. Please remember, it's only because I love the program, that I'm bringing up these concerns. Anyways, take it for what it's worth - SwampFox

Hey bigmuscle! Congrats on being the first to release a fully functional app to bring back the Aero user interface into Windows 8!

However, I have concerns about your invasive DRM measures.

I completely understand your want to use this program to make a profit. Most developers do, so you wouldn't be any different. In fact I would go as far to say that you deserved to be paid for your work on this program. It's obvious that the alpha and beta versions of Aero Glass for Windows 8 were designed with the intent of public testing and therefore you coded in DRM measures that would make these version defunct when your full, paid version arrives.

However the constant, unnecessary need to remind every user, every half-an-hour or so to "donate" to you. As well the very cluttered Command Prompt window that *MUST* remain open when it doesn't need to be - are sure-fire ways of angering the people who want to use the program.

As Ubisoft has shown. The more DRM you code into a program - the more likely it is that the program will be downloaded without a license and the security measures, circumvented. Again, I understand your want to make a profit with your program (I believe you will receive thousands of dollars when the full-version of the program comes) but these ridiculous DRM measures that are in currently in the software NEED to go.

I would of had no problem donating to you, and even if you had only reminded me *ONCE* every startup to donate - I would of had NO PROBLEM with that. But the fact that you have to force your greed into my face, everytime I open up a new window made me decide against donating to you. This constant bombardment of "reminders" that the program isn't free and that I should donate solidified the fact that I DIDN'T want to donate to you.

I have no problem donating to a developer who deserves the money, and in fact, I usually do. But that fact that you presented yourself as being greedy, smug, and constantly are badgering me, like a toddler in his crib, for money - costed you money.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but you would be someone I would donate to if these ridiculous DRM measures weren't hard coded into your DWM replacement.

With that, I still would like to say, I love your software - I use it everyday. The removement of these silly DRM measures would just make my experience with the software, much more pleasant, as well as much less frustrating and anxiety inducing.

Thanks for your time! And I appreciate you listening to my concerns as a user!
SwampFox56

Your posting it here implies you'd like comments.

Here's one: Stop wasting your time whining about how awful it is to use the FREE SOFTWARE someone was kind enough to give to you.

-Noel

I expected this comment, to which I reply - reread the OP.

He expect donations, and yet, implements these ridiculously intrusive DRM mechanism. If I'm going to donate, I have every right to complain.

[...] reread the OP. [...] If I'm going to donate, I have every right to complain.

True. Then again, as in the OP you stated you both (i) won't donate and (ii) use [the software] everyday, that means you don't have any reason left to complain, because not only you did not but also you don't have the slightest intention to ever donate, things remaining as they are. dubbio.gif