Office 2007 in Windows 2000

AnX

On 12/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, win32 said:

I'm sorry for all of the confusion I'm creating,

@win32 No, you've been a big help, thank you so much!

but I only brought up nLite because I assumed that you wanted to integrate AHCI drivers (because F6 can be a pain on anything without a floppy drive).

I must admit I'm not familiar with this. I'm testing in a VM until I'm sure I have the process down, but I'll most likely be installing W2K onto an OptiPlex 755 SFF that has a floppy drive.

HFSLIP is its own command line application. I need a refresher for the exact procedure of operation, but the readme should explain the most basic instructions.

I just extracted it. There's no readme. I read through the batch file a bit but it's rather long and doesn't entirely explain itself. Neither does the LICENSE text file.

It seems I run it on any modern Windows PC and set up the file. There's not a readme, so I hope it doesn't screw my system up if I just try to get it to work. I'm assuming that's what I'm supposed to do: just run the script?

You will not need USP 5.1 with the HFSLIP 2000 FullPack integrated.

Good to know. It seems like this integrates codecs and XP files into 2000, so hopefully I'll have better luck with this route.

ALSO: While running the script, I got a bunch of UAC prompts. Seems like it's trying to install/run the actual files on my system? One was WMP9, for instance. I just clicked Deny for all of those.

And what is this supposed to mean exactly?

All hotfixes integrated into a folder called SOURCESS.

Remember to reboot your machine after installing
from the SOURCESS folder.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

1 hour ago, Dylan Cruz said:

ALSO: While running the script, I got a bunch of UAC prompts. Seems like it's trying to install/run the actual files on my system? One was WMP9, for instance. I just clicked Deny for all of those.

And what is this supposed to mean exactly?

All hotfixes integrated into a folder called SOURCESS.

Remember to reboot your machine after installing
from the SOURCESS folder.

I didn't know that you were going to run HFSLIP on an NT6 system. In this case, I'd strongly recommend approving the UAC prompts (or disabling it altogether). The update installers are supposed to execute, but with an "extract" switch to prepare for integration into the install media, not for installation on the machine itself.

SOURCESS is the folder containing your newly slipstreamed Windows 2000 source. It also creates a bootable ISO containing the same files.

37 minutes ago, win32 said:

I didn't know that you were going to run HFSLIP on an NT6 system. In this case, I'd strongly recommend approving the UAC prompts (or disabling it altogether). The update installers are supposed to execute, but with an "extract" switch to prepare for integration into the install media, not for installation on the machine itself.

SOURCESS is the folder containing your newly slipstreamed Windows 2000 source. It also creates a bootable ISO containing the same files.

I was able to successfully install with the ISO it gave me, so it looks like it worked after all (or maybe not, but wasn't broken enough to not work?)

I'm installing KernelEx now (the second time). I'm using the default settings that come up in that big window with all the checkboxes - I don't need to change anything here, right? For instance, you mentioned something with winsock, and the XP winsock box was unchecked... should that have been unchecked?

That window didn't come up the first time I installed, only the second time, so indeed you need to install twice!

When it restarted, it took forever/is taking forever. It's been saying "Windows is starting up" now for the past 3 or 4 minutes. I restarted it a few times for other things though before KernelEx, so either it takes a while after patching it or something is funny.

EDIT: After 5 minutes, it reached "Preparing network connections" so I guess it's just slow right now

EDIT about EDIT: "Preparing network connections" is taking another 5 minutes now, too...

EDIT 3: OK, now "RPCSS is starting" so I think we're almost there. It's been about 10 minutes so far.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

The options window should always come up when the extended kernel setup is loaded.

The large text box on the right of the options window will explain the rationale behind each checkbox. The Vista MUI one should definitely be always checked, XP-compatible winsock is specified as causing freezes with browsers and security software but I'm running fine with it installed, and may be necessary for Outlook 2007 to work properly as I said earlier.

The slow bootup is not usual behaviour, and something may very well be broken. Are IE6, DX9 and WMP9 present?

@win32 Also, to answer your earlier question, no, I had WMP5 or 6 not 9 when I first logged in.

I can manually upgrade that, though.

I went all the way back and for some reason it *still* does not work right, I get the 10-minute logon thing again. Oddly, it only happens once BWC KernelEx is installed. Not before that. And it didn't happen last time I installed KernelEx either, only on this fresh install.

As it stands, once KernelEx is installed, I can no longer log into the computer. Not terribly useful, to say the least...

Is there any chance I can download the slipstreamed ISO from somewhere and use a "known good/working" ISO to install? Clearly, something is getting screwed up somewhere early on and I can't figure out how it's happening.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

Unfortunately, distribution of Windows OS files (or other commercial/proprietary software) is not allowed on MSFN.

But if you were to temporarily disable UAC, delete everything inside the SOURCESS folder and rerun HFSLIP 2000, you'd probably get a working setup.

Just now, win32 said:

Unfortunately, distribution of Windows OS files (or other commercial/proprietary software) is not allowed on MSFN.

I see. It would be nice if they could put one up on WinWorld though, so people don't have to spend hours trying and failing to do this.

Just now, win32 said:

But if you were to temporarily disable UAC, delete everything inside the SOURCESS folder and rerun HFSLIP 2000, you'd probably get a working setup.

The thing is it totally looks like it's going to actually try to install some W2K component on this NT6+ machine! How can I be sure it won't do that? I'm not using a VM, so I don't to accidentally cause irreversible damage to Windows as I'm not in the mood to restore anything here right now.

It looks like this runs in W2K though. Maybe I'll try doing it in a 2K VM, so I don't risk screwing anything up.

5 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

The thing is it totally looks like it's going to actually try to install some W2K component on this NT6+ machine! How can I be sure it won't do that? I'm not using a VM, so I don't to accidentally cause irreversible damage to Windows as I'm not in the mood to restore anything here right now.

It looks like this runs in W2K though. Maybe I'll try doing it in a 2K VM, so I don't risk screwing anything up.

I've run it on Windows 10 before. No ill effects whatsoever. Same with Windows 2000, but I couldn't get to work in XP x64.

All Windows Updates have a command line switch to extract files without installing any components. It looks like the installer is running, but all it's doing is copying files to a specified location (in HFSLIP's case, it's specified beforehand).

Edited by win32

4 minutes ago, win32 said:

I've run it on Windows 10 before. No ill effects whatsoever. Same with Windows 2000, but I couldn't get to work in XP x64.

I'm doing it on W2K now. Easier as it won't mess with the host OS and there's no UAC so I don't need to enter a password 6 million times (since on NT6+ I don't run as admin, though I'll probably run as Standard (or Restricted) user in W2K, too, once I get everything installed.)

It took 38 minutes last time so hopefully this will be done in around half an hour or so.

Just to make sure I've got this straight:

When it's done, I'm going to do a brand new install with the ISO. I'll install KernelEx, and the only change away from the default is to check the XP WSOCK box, I believe. It's not possible to slipstream the KernelEx part, I guess?

33 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes. You can't slipstream the extended kernel easily though.

Everything should go to plan.

Just so you know, my COMCTRL is the 2000 version, not the XP version.

The dialog popped up on the first try this time. Maybe because I copied the exe to the desktop instead of running from a mapped drive.

Forgot to check what WMP was originally there.

Slight complication. Reboot was successful and I can login, but when I do, there is no explorer.exe! Instead there is an error dialog that says

Cannot find the file '%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe' (or one of its components. Make sure the path and filename are correct adn that all required libraries are available.

Thoroughly baffled. Not only did I not install .NET, but only up to v2.0 is supported for W2K.

When I click OK, explorer.exe starts and the desktop appears.

EDIT: I *do* have WMP 9 so things worked this time! I think... let's try Office now

Edited by Dylan Cruz

On 11/30/2019 at 8:04 PM, win32 said:

That's for the chrome tool. for fcwin2k, you do the following:

1. click "refer" next to the "File" field at the top of the window.

2. point it to setup.exe

3. Select "Windows XP" from the "OS Ver" drop-down box

4. Click "CompatSave" then "CompatRun"

As for the stability of the extended kernel, no. If even WMP is broken, you may want to start over.

@win32 Tried this just now and I get:

"The dynamic link library MSVCR90.dll could not be found in the specified path "...path to Office install folder...", as well as a few other system folders

If I click OK a bunch of times (there's more error dialogs), setup.exe actually opens! Strangely, it won't let me type in a product key. I can't click in the box. I *can* click next Continue though and continue with installation, let's see how far I get...

EDIT: Installed successfully (w/o Groove), but when I open Word, I get "The specified program requires a newer version of Windows"... back where I started again! Do you know how to resolve this? I followed all the steps exactly.

Thanks!

Edited by Dylan Cruz