[Solved] Windows ME PC Health/DirectX problem

zuko1

Hi guys :)

I removed PC health from my Windows ME system & everything worked fine and still does apart from installing DirectX. Apparently, i need PC Health on this system to install DirectX or it nags me about not copying a file due to the removal of PC Health. is there a way to reinstall it to get my DirectX upgraded or will i be forced into a reinstall of the operating system? Any help would be much appreciated :)

You just need:

SFC.DLL

SFPDLL.DLL

SMGR.DLL

Get them from the Win ME install cabs and put them somewhere in the path, DX9 will then install fine.

You can delete those files once it's done.

Iv copy'd the files to numerous places in windows and it still won't install :( what is the best place to copy them to get DirectX to install? sorry to be a pain but my son can't play Doom 3 without DX9 installed :(

I think you need ATRACE.DLL too. The way I do it is unpack the DirectX installer and put those files in the same dir as the extracted files, dxsetup.exe and the cab archives. It did it a few times several years ago and it always worked for me. It was however always to reinstall DirectX 9.0.c, not to install it for the first time, but I don't see why it should be any different.

If you've got KernelEX installed (I think you need it for running Doom 3), not 100% sure as it's been a long while since I last installed DX9, you may need to disable it on dxsetup.exe before running it.

Edited by loblo

Success!! As soon as i copied ATRACE.DLL to the other extracted files it installed perfectly & my son is loving Doom 3 :) Thank you so much for your help loblo you've made my son (and me!!) very happy :thumbup