Strange error

huguia

I used to have an IDE hd in this P4 running Windows 98SE and windows 2000 in dualboot. Then Windows 98 stoped working and Windows 2000 was fine. I reformated the hard drive and it had bad sectors so i decided to put this SATA drive. For about 2 weeks this computer was working alright with Windows 98 and Windows XP in dualboot. However today, i can only boot to Windows XP. If i boot to 98, it says: Cannot read from disk sector c. Abort, retry, fail.

I can boot to Windows XP normally and acess data from c: (where 98 is installed). But i can't boot into 98. What should i do? What if when reformating this drive, it stops working like the previous one?

"Strange error" is NOT a good Topic title!

1 - What was and now is the Disk Layout? Normally, Win98 is FIRST (C-Drive) and 2000/XP is SECOND (D-Drive).

2 - What SIZE are the Partitions (Partition 1 = C-Drive / Partition 2 = D-Drive)

3 - You said FIRST an IDE Drive and Replaced with SATA Drive - IDE mode, correct?

4 - Win98 SHOULD be booting via the Windows 2000/XP Boot Selection screen, since BOOT.INI, NTLDR, and NTDETECT.COM should be on the C-Drive. Correct?

5 - Where did you put the 2000/XP PAGEFILE? You SHOULD have moved it OFF of the C-Drive (if that's where it put it).

"Strange error" is NOT a good Topic title!

1 - What was and now is the Disk Layout? Normally, Win98 is FIRST (C-Drive) and 2000/XP is SECOND (D-Drive).

2 - What SIZE are the Partitions (Partition 1 = C-Drive / Partition 2 = D-Drive)

3 - You said FIRST an IDE Drive and Replaced with SATA Drive - IDE mode, correct?

4 - Win98 SHOULD be booting via the Windows 2000/XP Boot Selection screen, since BOOT.INI, NTLDR, and NTDETECT.COM should be on the C-Drive. Correct?

5 - Where did you put the 2000/XP PAGEFILE? You SHOULD have moved it OFF of the C-Drive (if that's where it put it).

1- Win98 C: WinXP D:

2- C drive is 30gb and D drive is 90 gb

3- Exactly, IDE mode set to SATA and Secondary IDE for the DVD drive

4- Yes. Those files are on drive C: I can select whether to boot to Windows 98 or XP. If i put 98, the error occurs.

5- I don't know where i found those filess. What is it?

Have you selected in folder options -> "show hidden files and folders" and "hide protected operating system files"?

Edited by Commodore

Have you selected in folder options -> "show hidden files and folders" and "hide protected operating system files"?

Nope. But what should i do when i find it?

To view pagefile.sys, open folder option, uncheck hide protected operating system files, and select show hidden files and folders.

Now, you look for pagefile in both drives.

You verify the active pagefile location into xp:

"my computer" -> "properties" -> "advanced" -> "performance area" -> "Settings" -> "Advance" -> "Change" it shows you where is stored.

If pagefile.sys is showed be active into 98 drive, try to change the path in xp drive.

It's also possible that the current swap file on your computer is shared incorrectly between 98 and xp.

You verify that the content of system.ini (windows 98) don't contains this string in [386Enh] :

PagingFile=C:\PAGEFILE.SYS

PagingDrive=C

In a normal 98 installation, the only string is "PagingDrive=C" and the standard swap file is win386.swp (by default is in C:\windows). You look into win 98 drive.

A swap setting bad configuration could have caused your problem.

Look here for the right steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175639

Sorry if I don't know be clearer

Edited by Commodore