Winpe 3.1 networking issue

Distalnak

All,

I am doing a completely manual build of Win pe for my work & have almost everything working, but when I boot up, the Wpeinit doesnt setup the networking. When I go in, I can manually instlal the network card drivers, but then PE automatically gives a 169 addres, says that it is an unknown network and wont show me the prompt to choose what type of network. Also when I go into the properties of the network adaptor, the device doesnt show that there are any network components instlaled and will not allow me to add them manually.

any help would be appreciated...

(I grabbed the controlset001 from the install dvd and used it to build the pe)

I have listed some tips for you that will hopefully be helpful.

1. You need to build the network drivers into WinPE with DISM

Dism /image:R:\mountdir /Add-Driver /Driver:K:\driverdirectory\driver.inf

2. 'winpeinit' initializes WinPE and then 'wpeutil InitializeNetwork' initilizes the network.

startup.cmd example

@echo off

wpeinit

wpeutil WaitForRemovableStorage

wpeutil InitializeNetwork

ipconfig /all

3. 'but then PE automatically gives a 169 addres, says that it is an unknown network and wont show me the prompt to choose what type of network.'

This is a common symptom of Windows machines which have been configured for DHCP but for whatever reason are unable to contact a DHCP server.

Actually, you dont have to add them via DISM when building.

I have found that as long as they are installed via device manager (or via dpinst command line) BEFORE wpeinit runs, it will find the network and initialize everyithing.

I backed up a few steps in my process and now can see all of the network stuff, but still stuck with a 169.xx,xx,xx address and it wont connect to the network. When you look at the Local Area Network it says 'authentication failed' now.

anyone encounter this before and know how to resolve it?

I backed up a few steps in my process and now can see all of the network stuff, but still stuck with a 169.xx,xx,xx address and it wont connect to the network. When you look at the Local Area Network it says 'authentication failed' now.

anyone encounter this before and know how to resolve it?

A 169.xxx.xxx.xxx network address means your adapter is configured for DHCP and cannot connect to a DHCP server.

1. What type of network do you have?

2. Do you have a DHCP server and if so what are you using ie router, Windows Server 2012 etc.?

Sorry that it has been a few days, but finally got it working. I ended up partially rebuilding.

Now, one last thing... when I try to go into Windows Media Center, I get a software restriction message.

anyone know how to get aroudn this? I have changed the version from WindowsPE to Ultimate in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion keys...

ok, got that working by playing with the reg keys HKLM\Software\Micrsoft\Windows\currentVersion and \Windows nt\current Version as well as the HKLM\System\CS01\Control\ProductOptions.

Next, I am trying to get Terminal Services working. I have it working so that I can TS out fo the box to another machine, but am also trying to get it to work so that I can TS to this box. I have the Windows Firewall enabled and have added both an incoming and outgoing rule to allow MSTSC.exe to communicate through the firewall... interestingly enough, I cannot ping the Win PE computer but can ping my computer from the WinPE computer....

I am wondering if the SSTP service has anything to do with this problem? Thoughts anyone?