Cannot Uninstall Synaptics Touchpad Driver

xmf

Recently the scroll function of my touchpad (Synaptics V7.2) stopped working. I went over to the control panel to check the scroll settings and when I clicked on "mouse" I got the message:

Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver...Do you want to uninstall the Synaptics driver now?

If I choose yes, I receive the message:

"You must have Administrator privileges to uninstall device drivers. Please log off and log back on as Admin." This is despite my user account having admin privileges.

So I entered into safe mode and logged in as the administrator, but when I went to remove the driver in add/remove, I received the same message - that I needed administrator privileges.

I'm stumped here. Can anybody help me out? Thanks

get the installer from dell (or whoever) and reinstall it. THEN uninstall it. :hello:

http://download.cnet.com/Synaptics-Touchpad-driver-7-2-5-0-zip/3000-2108_4-149877.html

Thanks again. I was going to do the same but I got a warning message about reinstalling before uninstalling. Your advice worked perfectly. Now that everything's working, and I'm only seeing one entry in add/remove, is there something I should be uninstalling?

@xmf,

What Kel and Ponch have tried to explain, is when you have trouble with an app or driver that won't uninstall, which was part of what you explained was happening to you in your OP and the title of this thread, if you reinstall on top of it the exact same version of the app, in the exact same place, sometimes that will put back whatever was missing that wouldn't let it uninstall the first time so that now you can uninstall it. But since the only reason that you were wanting to uninstall was to get the driver working, and apparently reinstalling worked for you, then no, there is nothing else you need to uninstall at this point.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt