Best ways to recover partition after quick format?

Hey all

I really need you help - the thing is iv accidentally performed a quick format on an WD Green 2TB drive with XP pro installation. what i want is to recover the whole complete partition as it was (1 ntfs partition was on the disk) include names/structure and all. as of now i dont have a 2TB space to image the disk, so all the recovery tools should be nondestructive, however i do have 2TB free to recovering to.

what do you suggest? plz dont hesitate to suggest anything.

Hey all

I really need you help - the thing is iv accidentally performed a quick format on an WD Green 2TB drive with XP pro installation. what i want is to recover the whole complete partition as it was (1 ntfs partition was on the disk) include names/structure and all. as of now i dont have a 2TB space to image the disk, so all the recovery tools should be nondestructive, however i do have 2TB free to recovering to.

what do you suggest? plz dont hesitate to suggest anything.

No actual way to recover the filesystem "as it was".

The $MFT (and thus filenames) should have been replaced by a new, "clean" one.

Possibly traces of it (exceeding the initial size) may be found. :unsure:

Right now your best bet is to connect it through a USB adapter and see what DMDE finds:

http://softdm.com/

jaclaz

Man the content on the disk is too important il try anything. Just to be clear the disk didnt have an os on it, it wasnt the primary,but storage. When il get home il run dmde and post results

UPDATE: as of now DMDE is running for about an hour (and 2%) now and so far i got these results which seems radical if im not mistaken.

post-302585-0-19566700-1351213456_thumb.

UPDATE2: 8 hours after started (9% only...)

post-302585-0-13488400-1351237304_thumb.

UPDATE3: 32 hours after started (25% only)

post-302585-0-57803500-1351354742_thumb.

Edited by energydream2007

plz make me happy

I would gladly, but it's not that easy. :(

As a general rule, when posting some file, always compress it to a .zip or 7z archive.

Your next step should be to select (in the upper part) the NTFS0 volume and click on the "Open Volume" button.

What happens?

If everything is OK, you should be able to see SOME of the data that was in the volume.

Ideally you should be able to locate some small text only file (like a .ini or .cmd) and verify visually it's contents, then attempt recovering it (to ANOTHER drive).

If the attempt is successful, you can either (manually, aka 1 by 1) attempt recovering each file (it seems like there are something like more than 11000 still indexed files, though) or decide (still if these attempts give some good result) to buy a license for the DMDE thingy, even the "Home Personal" edition should do.

jaclaz