"Oh no, I don't want all that cr*p on my screen!"

JorgeA

@-X-

The whole point was/is that it is essential to do backups.

Having data BOTH in the cloud and "local" is OK :thumbup , as it is an effective means of having a backup (of the "right" kind with actual data in two different physical location).

But what most users do is to have NO "local" backup and rely entirely on the cloud (and the example is what can happen) or have a single "local" copy of the data.

And the cloud, while being most probably managed on "better" hardware and by "better" (in the sense of more knowledgeable) people than the average Joe, is not intrinsically "secure".

Now if you sign a remote data storage contract where the provider guarantees your data, or accepts to indemnify you a "reasonable" sum in case of data loss, this may be another matter but the average Joe will use one of more "free" or "low cost" services that give you (understandably) no substantial guarantee of any kind.

Just to make a couple names :ph34r: (actually the first two that came up in a google search) check the actual liability terms:

http://mozy.com/terms/

http://www.ibackup.com/license/terms_new.htm

For NO apparent reason:

demotivational-posters-redundancy.jpg

jaclaz

To increase a bit of privacy matters,

its also advisable to encrypt any data before uploading to the cloud.

but, its happened to me,

when some hosting services that immediately delete any uploaded files,

if those files were password-ed .rar or .zip files ...

To increase a bit of privacy matters,

its also advisable to encrypt any data before uploading to the cloud.

but, its happened to me,

when some hosting services that immediately delete any uploaded files,

if those files were password-ed .rar or .zip files ...

That's disturbing, if you can't even protect the files that you upload to the cloud.

When cloud storage services started to appear, I was excited -- all that free offsite backup storage I could have! 2 GB here, 5 gigs there... But then, as I thought about it, I realized that there wasn't anything I would consciously entrust to a remote server somewhere. Confidential business documents? Tax information?? E-mails with details of my private life??? And so I decided to take a pass on cloud storage. Because of the way my ISP's e-mail service works, there may be stuff out there about me and my business, but I'm not going to deliberately and specifically add to what's available about me.

--JorgeA

Unprompted, she said to me, "Oh, no -- I don't want all that cr*p on my screen!"

--JorgeA

We are forced to have it or either so remove it. MrJinje here shows how and you can see my pic in Post 16 page__view__findpost__p__1016114

Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks, that sure looks better than the crowded Metro Start Screen. Now if I could round off the square tiles, make the tiles smaller, and make the app tile backgrounds blend into the wallpaper (yeah, just like in the Desktop)...

But I'll keep that procedure in mind if we ever do end up having to use Windows 8.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA