which version of XP do I have?

Molecule

GRTMPOEM_EN.ISO

size 618,065,920

files are dated 04/14/2008

md5:  cf044066e4a9193b388f628fa0c1be7e
sha1: 2bcaaf437bac27ddf6816b0f415fcef9bd85463f

the hash values of a legal iso should appear all over the place on the internet

the sha1 and md5 of my iso appear in one place on the internet ... and that person thought he had fraud

hologram side of CD says "XP Professional Includes Service Pack 3 Version 2002"

wikipedia doesn't have any mention of it

the files are all dated 2008

digitial side of CD behaves like XP Home

(as I understand it

-setup does not ask for domain name and password

-cannot enter an account name for Administrator

-it allows multiple Administrators (which I do NOT! want)

-administrators logon without password

-welcome screen is unbusinesslike, insulting and stupid

-bubblegum look and feel

-annoying bubbles all over the place --

spreading bubblegum paranoia -- one install screen says "you bought the most secure and safe operation system ever" (something like that) ...

but after 1 minute operation without connection to internet, now bubbles pop up proclaiming that it is unsafe!!!

microsoft has a funny sense of humor I guess ... haha)

I cant upload pictures because when I try upload a 46k image, I get a Upload failed ... used 1000 k of my 1000k global upload quota .. image is 46k!

I'd really like to show pictures of the CD and MS product description, showing XP pro

then show a picture of the installation Welcome screen which is apparently from XP Home

but I can't upload for some reason

You have XP Pro "Generic" OEM, meaning that it's not "Manufacturer Specific" (not SLP/Preactivate). See this for more on that. If you need more info it can be given. See your other thread.

Also see Wiki for features differences.

edit - "XP HOME" Welcome Screen? It shouldn't be specifying AFAIK. What does the System Properties show?

but after 1 minute operation without connection to internet, now bubbles pop up proclaiming that it is unsafe!!!
??? AutoUpdates? "Not now" when you installed?
-setup does not ask for domain name and password
? It's not automatic. You have to JOIN a domain. See "System Properties" for "a bunch of stuff".

edit2 - AHHH! (see below) never thought of that. Home doesn't supply that.

(also you must have a bunch of uploads somewhere - delete unnecessary ones - look in your profile)

Edited by submix8c

I don't have 4 gpedit files ... I have 5 gpedit files

what does that mean?

\system32\gpedit.dll

\system32\gpedit.msc

\system32\dllcache\gpedit.dll

\Help\gpedit.chm

\Help\gpedit.hlp

as to the hash values -- in a hex scan of the iso

there are 32,767 leading 0x00's before the first non-0x00 byte

there are 311,296 trailing 0x00's after the last non-0x00 byte

that would skew the hash

the tool that was used to pull the iso was ImgBurn

I'll need to check

edit - other iso's pulled with the same ImgBurn have leading and trailing 0x00s and their hash values check out

so that might not be it

does anyone recommend another tool

or should I blow off the leading and trailing NULLs and see what happens?

Edited by Molecule

Leading hex-0 is supposed to be there. Trailing hex-0 should not. The last thing that is valid will be "AutoCRC" plus 5-character-position hex-values. Hex-0's after that "don't count". ImgBurn incorrectly "rips" and leaves trailing hex-0's (just tested it). "AutoCRC" occurs in two places and the values don't match. Some info on AutoCRC and CRC32 here. I have no clue how AutoCRC works but it's placed into ISO's built with MS' CDIMAGE/OSCDIMG programs by using a parameter input. SO... I have no clue how you've obtained your other hash values that "check out". KB841290 contains FCIV, the "official" ("unsupported") SHA-1/MD5 program. As I said, HashMyFiles works fine also (gives many hashes).

No, sir, My test was done with Home OEM SP1a. Yes, it's a direct "copy" of an original because at the time a neighbor had that installed and had lost the CD. The original was legitimately purchased as well and the same problem occurred. Nero saving the TRACK works fine (no trailing hex-0's). I'll test another if you like with a different software.

BTW, did you go read the link?

edit - Nero "Save Track as ISO" - perfect...

edit2 - MagicISO - perfect...

The ImgBurn has a fallacy.

Edited by submix8c

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116592

:angel

Post#3 - the OP states purchased in-box :whistle:

The topic here is how to "rip" the purchased to confirm (for some strange reason). I suppose that price could be a rip-off. ;)

Also see this post#17.

Apparently Microcenter no longer has it in stock. :w00t:

Microsoft "How to tell" apparently no longer shows XP. :(

Edited by submix8c

Many thanks submix8c , I understand now and the OP have Windows XP Pro SP3 ! ;)

And, yes four files can be found inside I386 folder:

GPEDIT.DL_

GPEDIT.HL_

GPEDIT.MS_

GPEDITW.CH_

Regards

Edited by myselfidem

thanks to everyone for the help ...

when I first saw an XP logon screen, the one that I saw had a very sedate, calm and professional look and feel. It was kind of like the 2K logon, with a flatscreen look like linux logons, more colors than 2K logon with gold and blue and ... (memory fails).

as Vista was being phased over to 7, it was harder and harder to find XP (that was the marketing by fear rumor that I fell for anyway) so I bought a new mobo, memory, processor, video and hdd with XP pro OEM. Microcenter is kind of nationwide US, and there's one within biking distance from me. They sold me this 2002 version ... wow did I get a surprise. The logon screen is a total insult. Sorry to speak truth to power, but ... back in the dos days, there was this trick exe that one could send to a friend, which opened a small message box "Reformatting of your Hard drive is about to begin ... Click ABORT button to stop." Of course, as soon as the mouseover occured, the message box would jump to a random location ... driving the user crazy until he got the cruel joke.

Well ... that is what M$ did to its users with XP PRO v2002. The bouncing initial logon with its bouncing questionmark dingie is 3rd grader cruelgy. It's infantile and demeaning. So I figured it was not real MS. It was. I now believe MS is not so stupid as I thought. With XP Pro, v2002 SP3, I believe they dumbed down the interface, and made it harder to setup with a flattened classical logon and classical look and feel ... so that they could convince the user to bail on XP and go out and purchase Vista and/or 7. I believe this was intentional crippling of the last version of XP. It was done to make the user think XP was 3rd grade bubblegum and stupidity ... so that the user would upgrade to Vista and 7.

the hash value thing is quite a difficult one ... I frankly would prefer a hash of very byte on the CD from sector 0 to last, as proof that it's not a switch. I learned that the same burner software, and the same physical burner CD drive, and the same interior fileset, will add a 16x or 32x sectors (1 sector = 1024 ) as buffers. So lead in and traling buffer sizes can change, depending only on the media that is being burned. Somehow the burner has to sense how much buffer the target media is spec'd for, and provide it. Different media need different size buffers.

I ran the MD5's of each file of the CD and compared them to a European ISO and all the files checked out, except for 7 files (edit 7 files total being 5 help files, 1 eula statement, and 1 PID file for European versions, where the 2nd line in American version ends in =xxxxxxxOEM and European version ends in =xxxxxxx000. I'm going from memory here so PID and xxxxxxx are likely not exact.)

I'm not going to go to vista or 7 because of my old software (mainlyl cad ... so forth) ... I was thinking 2K would be my last M$ product but because of flash, I might shift that up to XP, or I might look for a server 2K3 ...

A quick question ... I see XP PRO SP2a on Craigslist all the time ... to get away from the forced bubblegum administrator thingie, I'm thinking of tossing v2002 and installing SP2a and then nLite SP3 ...

Does anyone know if XP pro SP2a + SP3 slipstream will give a first logon that is somewhat 2K-like, has one admin account, and doesn't have the welcome to bubblegum XP with bouncing ?-marks, to remind me of old DOS reformat jokes. In XP PRO v2002 you had to have a "SECRET Administrator" account (which M$ apparently wants to be so secret I wasn't sure whether as so-called owner I had all the necessary licenses with permission to access a "shady" admin account), and then you had to create a "Bubblegum Administrator" account, which the bouncing ?-mark idiotic thingie forces the user to install, and which logs on without passwords. The result is that XP PRO v2002 has, by force, 3 admin accounts ... and is unsafe with no forced passwords by default. It has SAFE-mode Administrator (doh), plus SECRET Administrator (or at least a sooo cool shady dood admin account that only clueless noobs like me don't know about), and then unlimited Bubblegum administrators ... none of whom require passwords ... I was really convinced that I was not looking at an XP system. I believe v2002 was probably crippled like that intentionally.

Edited by Molecule

XP can be also "unbloated" and configured in a way that it will look and behave similar to Windows 2000. Of course you can't make it as slim as 2K but it still can be a usable OS. A lot of tweaking is required though. Most of the things you're interested in can be probably done in nLite.

I was thinking 2K would be my last M$ product but because of flash

What do you mean by "flash"? :unsure: