Is this even possible (drive cloning)

So I've got a small PATA HD that I'm trying to clone. Everything I've tried ends up with a non working backup. Some one told me today that "there is a inaccessible embed file" that makes cloning impossible.

If its inaccessible then how does the system read that file in the first place? Was hoping that some one smarter then me could chime in as to whether or not this is possible.

Thanks all.

Thank you for pointing me towards another cloning utility, I will be giving this one a shot tomorrow as well as PING.

However, I'm still curious as to wether or not theres such a thing as an embedded file that cant be copied?

Well, of all the available tools, clonezilla is the LEAST advised, not because it's not good :thumbup , but because it is (nicely) named BUT does another thing from what people would associate to cloning.

Filesystem supported: (1) ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, xfs, jfs, btrfs of GNU/Linux, (2) FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS of MS Windows, (3) HFS+ of Mac OS, (4) UFS of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, and (5) VMFS3 and VMFS5 of VMWare ESX. Therefore you can clone GNU/Linux, MS windows, Intel-based Mac OS, and FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, no matter it's 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86-64) OS. For these file systems, only used blocks in partition are saved and restored. For unsupported file system, sector-to-sector copy is done by dd in Clonezilla.

You can just dd it without any need for Clonezilla, if you want a clone, otherwise for supported filesystems the result is NOT - normally - a clone.

But this:

So I've got a small PATA HD that I'm trying to clone. Everything I've tried ends up with a non working backup. Some one told me today that "there is a inaccessible embed file" that makes cloning impossible.

If its inaccessible then how does the system read that file in the first place? Was hoping that some one smarter then me could chime in as to whether or not this is possible.

Thanks all.

tells nothing.

WHATis the "everything tried"?

What EXACT hard disk is it?

WHERE it is coming from?

WHO is "someone" that "told about embed file"?

Standard Litany:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

jaclaz