YouTube Video Conversion

frogman

From What To What? How are you downloading - to FLV, SWF - what?

Various I would say depending on what format they are at the time, and I want them so I can burn them to DVD in order to play them on a stand alone DVD player.

Your ultimate goal then is to create VOB files (the format standard DVD's are in). You'll probably have to use individual apps to convert them (depending on the format) to a single format that another software can convert/burn. Use DVD+R for burns and a burner/software that can set the Book Type accordingly - no faster than 4x (standard is 2.5x believe it or not).

I only did this with MPG (a live video of a jam I did) using Nero software. Free software that actually works is hard to find. You should maybe SandBox a "test install" of your OS in a VM to see if it works (and don't flub your Running OS).

I kind of doubt you'll find a single free "general conversion" software to do "the world"...

A Search on (e.g.) "flv vob converter free" (no quotes) shows a not-recommended XVID (cnet) but the same page (cnet) shows a variety pack of various software (apparently recommended).

HTH

Right I have the program to download the youtube videos, the ones I want to use are now on the computer as .flv, so now I need a program that works on windows 98 that can convert from .flv to avi or vob.

I also need a program that will join multiple parts of a .flv files like say more than one part and join them to one complete file.

frogman ... I just found out about this flash video / converter from a posting by JohnHell at the K-Meleon forum less than two weeks ago.

Youtube Downloader HD

http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

Youtube Downloader HD is a free tool to download videos from YouTube and save it to your local computer. The videos can be converted to avi video format or to mp4 (compatible with iPod, iPhone).

Now you can download High Quality videos, High Definition and Full HD videos from YouTube. Also Youtube Downloader HD is a Freeware!

Main Downloads:

Download Youtube Downloader HD

Version 2.9.4 Freeware. 4.2 MB. With installer.

For Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7

Youtube Downloader HD - Portable Version

Version 2.9.4 Freeware. 3.5 MB. Without installer. Standalone exe file.

For Windows 98/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7

FLV Converter

Version 1.1 Freeware. 3.2 MB. With installer.

Handy Freeware tool to convert FLV files to AVI video

.... the portable version is listed as working with Windows 98 / SE

The following may be "slightly " off topic but it does deal with various file formats playing through a TV with no converting needed. I just found out about this item in July ... it does away with converting any file. I posted about it on July 23 at the K-Meleon forum and will just put what I wrote there in this post ... it would be another way to go to be able to work with different files. I finally got around to trying it yesterday and the files (mp4 and wmv) played great using just the av (R/W/Y) cable. I have other files to try out but my first test was a success. Amazon had Kingston 16 GB flash drives on sale for $7.99 in July for only a day and I got four of them to store various videos on and I have some USB Hard Drives.

Date: July 23, 2012 07:39AM

Thanks Fred ... in regards to converting files, I just bought something that is supposed to play just about any file through your TV. I just received this little item and have not had a chance to try it out yet but it had a lot of "positive" reviews at Amazon. You don't have to convert any files, just put your files on a USB Hard Drive, Memory Card or a USB Flash Drive. I'm not endorsing this product but converting files can be time consuming, I was actually looking for a DVD player that played all or at least most files that could be watched on a television. I found this item and most people seemed to like it. I just put info about it here in case someone might be interested in checking it out. Seems like it would be easier to put various files on a USB Flash Drive or USB Hard Drive to play on a TV ... instead of converting files. Of course if you only play files on a computer then this item is not necessary at all.

http://www.amazon.com/IncrediSonic-Ultra-Play-IMP150-Flashdrives/dp/B006FNCWSY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343004041&sr=1-1&keywords=IncrediSonic+Ultra+Play+IMP150

IncrediSonic Ultra Play IMP150 - HD TV Digital Mini Media Player HDMI - 1080p - Play any file from USB HDDs/Flashdrives/Memory Cards ...

RM/RMVB/AVI/DIVX/MKV/MOV/HDMOV/MP4/PMP/AVC/FLV/ VOB/MPG/DAT/MPEG/H.264/MPEG1/2/4, WMV Player

* Download media (videos, music, etc) from the internet, save it to USB drive/memory card/HDD then play it through your TV!

* Turn your USB drive into an HD media player - Play content from USB drives/USB HDD devices and SD/MMC/MS Memory Cards

* Full-HD 1080p video playback (Not just upscaling like other brands) - Experience spectacular Full-HD video picture quality and crystal-clear digital audio.

* Features include: USB host port, LED light (BLue = running, Red = standby), IR Receiver, SD/MMC/MS card slot, Composite AV port, HDMI port, Power supply jack & Power supply

* A great product for ultimate in-house entertainment - Remote control included!

A great device for turning your HD TV into a Home Cinema, allowing you to play virtually any downloaded content on your hard drive/memory card in HD on your TV!

3 in 1 Card Reader - Supports SD, MMC and MS cards.

Supported codec:

RM/RMVB/AVI/DIVX/MKV/MOV/HDMOV/MP4/PMP/AVC/FLV/ VOB/MPG/DAT/MPEG/H.264/MPEG1/2/4, WMV

Video Output: HDMI output to 1080P, Composite (AV)

... I didn't know there was such a device ... there were some cheaper models but this one played more different files. If anyone knows of a better type product, tell me about it.

thanks

.... I posted this to let others know about this device and that there is another way to go, if you have various files stored away ...

Edited by duffy98

I downloaded the Youtube Downloader HD and have it compatible with KernelEx, and everytime I click on download after I have inserted the youtube link an error message appears to say no video to download.

I have tried various links and get the very same message!

Well I am on XP these days but I installed the portable version earlier today but I can't try it out till I get to the library or somewhere with a faster Wi-Fi connection. My connection at home is very slow through my cell phone. My phone dates back to 2004 and I have a plan from Verizon that included Data as part of the Voice plan, before everyone decided to split voice and data up to get more money. I connect with a USB cable, everything works OK, just most downloads are very slow.

As I said I am on XP so I no longer use KernelEx. I should be able to try some downloads tomorrow or over the next few days. I will get back with my experience on XP. You might not need KernelEx but I don't know. Maybe the other download will work with KernelEx.

... just will add something in reference to the IncrediSonic Ultra Play Media player, if anyone decides to go that route ... there is a 6ft HDMI cable for sale for $1.61 that also includes free shipping. I paid $1.63 in July and today is the first time I saw the price actually change, down two cents.

DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M (6 Feet)

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-Gear-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=pd_cp_e_0/187-0119372-3044455

Edited by duffy98

frogman ... downloading a video now with Youtube Downloader ... took a few trys to get it working. Youtube doesn't recognize the K-Meleon browser anymore, but I use a User Agent indicating that I'm using IE 8 with Windows 7 ... when I'm really on XP.

UA : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1)

Info from user-agent-string web site: Browser: Internet Explorer 8.0 run on Windows 7

Download still going ... long way to go , my cell phone would have burned up or exploded by now, using a fast Wi-Fi download and it's creeping but I like the program.

Edited by duffy98

Just for completeness sake, there is also the online Keepvid.com, which is Java based and works in Opera and Firefox and MSIE (and probably Chrome as well).

You just enter the URL and it usually gives a few choices for download. I just tried a random

and it returns this ...

Iron Maiden - Transylvania (Rainbow 1980) 04

›› Download FLV ‹‹ - 240p

›› Download MP4 ‹‹ - (Max 480p)

›› Download WebM ‹‹ - 360p

›› Download 3GP ‹‹ - 144p

All four are all direct URLs for right-click "Save As ...".

NOTE: The first time you use it (KeepVid) during a session you need to acknowledge the security warning ("Do you want to Run?") and click 'Run' which starts the Java applet.

Thanks for reminding me about KeepVid ... did use that program some time back. Don't remember why I stopped ... maybe it quit working for me. Seems like something works for awhile with Youtube and then they change things and you have to look around for something else.

Thanks for reminding me about KeepVid ... did use that program some time back. Don't remember why I stopped ... maybe it quit working for me. Seems like something works for awhile with Youtube and then they change things and you have to look around for something else.

Haven't used it too much lately myself. So I just tried something else to see how many formats they support (quite a few apparently).

In that previous post I used a video from 1980, which most likely originates only from a VHS videotape (or Betamax!) so I expected only a couple of choices.

is another music video which is much more modern and comes in HD.

In the flashplayer in YouTube the Quality selector gives 5 choices ...

1080p HD

720p HD

480p

360p

240p

Auto

Then, placing the URL in KeepVid returns these direct download options ...

›› Download FLV ‹‹ - 240p

›› Download FLV ‹‹ - 360p

›› Download FLV ‹‹ - 480p

›› Download MP4 ‹‹ - (Max 480p)

›› Download MP4 ‹‹ - 720p

›› Download MP4 ‹‹ - 1080p

›› Download WebM ‹‹ - 360p

›› Download WebM ‹‹ - 480p

›› Download WebM ‹‹ - 720p

›› Download 3GP ‹‹ - 144p

They seem to correspond 1:1 in resolution except for that 144p option.

Anyway, it looks to me that as long as KeepVid stays in business (apparently they have a "Pro" version called "Vdownloader" for sale to pay the bills) it seems to be a viable video grabber, at least for casual use.

One other important note, you definitely want to right-click "save as" on the download links, and avoid clicking those giant DOWNLOAD NOW and PLAY NOW buttons because the urls look like they start a download for their software, not saving the video.