Avira on Windows 98

UltimateSilence

Hello,

Whenever I try to install Avira (7.06.00.268 or below) on Windows 98 Second Edition, I receive the error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information

Make sure that you install the 98/ME version and not the 2000/XP version and KernelEx must be disabled. 

Will the 9x/ME version handle the unicode VDF's with the unicode update? These new VDF's are for the NT kernel and beyond.

Thanks,

Dave

Make sure that you install the 98/ME version and not the 2000/XP version and KernelEx must be disabled. 

Will the 9x/ME version handle the unicode VDF's with the unicode update? These new VDF's are for the NT kernel and beyond.

Thanks,

Dave

Hallo Dave, 

I still use the progam, but only occasionally the scanner. I never had managed to run the guard with newer definitions than mai or june 2009. Since Avira stopped updating the definitions with 22.05.12, it's to lavish. One possibility still remain for me. The update still works for Antivir 8 (9) on my Win XP. I can copy the defs and paste them into my Win ME Antivir program folder.

Update with defs 22.05.12:

1. Open the zip file with 7Zip or another zip app and paste the four vdf files in your Antivir app folder.. Don't paste the avpack32.dll, because it doesn't work anymore on 98/ME. The last avpack32.dll that works was released on 29.04.08.  

2. Rename the downloaded zip file (22.05.12) "ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip" to "ivdf_fusebundle_9x_en.zip. Start Antivir -  menu - update - manual update (folder) - find and open the renamed defs file. A message appears "can't open guard vxd". Click OK. After the update has finished replace "avpack32.dll"  (25.11.2009) with "avpack32.dll" (29.04.08). "avpack32.dll" (29.04.08) is included in the late 9x defs.