Running Windows 3.x on a SCSI hard disk.

ppgrainbow

Okay, here are the contents of the stripped down CONFIG.SYS file and all of the other drivers have been removed:

files=50

buffers=32

device=c:\dos\himem.sys /testmem:off

device=c:\buslogic\flashpt.sys /d

device=c:\buslogic\btmdisk.sys /d

lastdrive=z

And here are the contents of the stripped down AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

@echo off

path=c:\dos;c:\windows

prompt $p$g

I attempted to use FLASHPT.SYS and BTMDISK.SYS and they failed to work in VMware Player.

But if I change line 4 of the CONFIG.SYS and remove the BTMDISK.SYS driver and replace it with BTDOSM.SYS below:

files=50

buffers=32

device=c:\dos\himem.sys /testmem:off

device=c:\buslogic\btdosm.sys /d

lastdrive=z

It will work. All of the other SCSI hard disks, but one have been disabled.

>> WHERE does the btdosm.sys come from (it is NOT in the referenced archive)?

Where did I get the BTDOSM.SYS driver? Right here: http://www.hiren.info/downloads/dos-files :)

Should I send you an attachment of what the SYSTEM.INI file looks like? Just curious.

Edited by ppgrainbow

So with this configuration there are no problems at all in DOS? But if you now try to add in Windows for Workgroups 3.11, that will not load, correct?

OK, just to try and isolate potential problems, assuming the above is correct, staying just with DOS, can you add back in your other SCSI drives and have them all function correctly in DOS? How about all your other drivers and devices, staying in DOS they all load and function correctly? I'm just trying to figure out if there are any problems at all in DOS regarding any of the drivers or devices. If all that works, then I'd be tempted to try and add WFW at this stage and see what happens.

In either of the above scenarios, is it possible that you can try this on actual hardware instead of a VM? Or maybe try a different VM? I'm not sure if there are any others that would be compatible, I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much more specific help, it's been way too long since I've messed with DOS or WFW, I was just trying to help clarify the situation so that someone else might be able to recognize something and offer advice. Good luck!

Cheers and Regards

Correct.

If I strip out the unnecessary drivers, MS-DOS will load correctly. But I run Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on a SCSI hard disk, it will NOT load at all. With one SCSI hard disk, it will kick back to the C: prompt, with four SCSI hard disks, WfW 3.11 will hang at the splash screen.

Now looking at lines 15 to 19 of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, if I replace LH (LOADHIGH) with LOADFIX, the drivers will load correctly on a SCSI hard disk:

loadfix diagnose /s

loadfix mixerset /p /q

loadfix shsucdx /d:scsicd /l:x

loadfix vmsmount /v /l:z /lfn /cs /b:4k

loadfix ctmouse

loadfix hxldr32

As for trying this on actual hardware or booting off a SCSI virtual hard disk, it is not possible.

It's been so long since I last ran Windows 3.x on a SCSI hard disk, I'm just afraid that it is not even possible to run Windows 3.x correctly in 386 Enhanced Mode on a VMware emulated SCSI hard disk, if not at all. This similar forum thread "WFW 3.11 fails to start - VMWare" believes that the SCSI drivers do not work properly on Windows 3.x when run in 386 Enhanced Mode.

Furthermore, a lot of software will not even work correctly or will hang when run from a SCSI hard drive under DOS. With that, I afraid that I have given up and is about to switch back to IDE with a drive overlay. :)

So, if it is the BT series (and not the FP) one, this should be latest version of drivers:

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/Obsolete/Obsolete%20Common%20Files/aspi420g.exe.zip

or this one:

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/Obsolete/Obsolete%20Common%20Files/aspi410k.exe.zip

Can you try the above ones and report?

jaclaz

I'll try to see if these drivers work and report back in my next comment. :)

I'm sorry if I'm taking this long.

Edited by ppgrainbow