Videos and sound "lagging"

Thanks for the pics bphlpt! Why the "LOL" though? I'm a novice when it comes to these things, so I have to ask what might seem like silly questions. I had another look at the motherboard and I don't see anything that's leaking or rusty looking. As for what's "bulging", I couldn't really say. Those capacitors are too small for the untrained eye to distinguish.

LOL again (heh...)! Hand-held magnifiers - $5 (sometimes with a small light on it) plus small flashlight = able to see stuff... Chipset names, etc... POWER DISCONNECTED, natch. ;)

Why did you mention chipset names? I'm aware I can use a magnifying glass. However, they're clearly rusty or leaking I don't see much difference between the two capcitors in the first pic bphlpt posted, aside from color and a slightly domed top. Is that what I'd be looking out for?

Yup! Bad Caps (look here - www.badcaps.net). Chipsets (or a single Chip Name) on a given "chip" on any given piece of hardware (MoBo, Sound Card, etc) helps to identify WHAT it is (almost) EXACTLY for the purpose of finding Correct Drivers, in addition to using the Registry to determine what the VID/PID values are to get EXACTLY (and NOT "almost") the right Driver. ;)

Edited by submix8c

The top of a good cap should be flat or ever so slightly concave. If it is bulging even a little bit it is probably starting to fail. You might be able to feel it depending on how convex it has become.

A good tool to help identify the components on your board for the purposes of getting the right drivers etc, is CPU-Z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt