Win2K keyboard driver broken

Every time the machine resumes from S3 the keyboard repeat rate goes to default. I have to open “keyboard properties” in Control Panel and press OK to set the repeat rate/delay again.

Also, if I plug-in a new keyboard it is not recognized, so system boots without a keyboard. I have to plug in a 2nd registered keyboard, reboot, re-detect & install the new keyboard.

It worked fine before, but it looks like the driver or the keyboard registry setting is messed up or corrupted. I tried reinstalling driver from CD, also used Logitech kbd driver to no avail.

Any ideas?

Please try following step.

1. Boot recovery console or other partition OS.

2. backup %systemroot%\system32\config\system ( and system.alt )

3. copy system from %systemroot%\repair

4. Reboot.

5. ReInstall drivers.

Every time the machine resumes from S3 the keyboard repeat rate goes to default. I have to open “keyboard properties” in Control Panel and press OK to set the repeat rate/delay again.

Also, if I plug-in a new keyboard it is not recognized, so system boots without a keyboard. I have to plug in a 2nd registered keyboard, reboot, re-detect & install the new keyboard.

It worked fine before, but it looks like the driver or the keyboard registry setting is messed up or corrupted. I tried reinstalling driver from CD, also used Logitech kbd driver to no avail.

Any ideas?

Please try following step.

1. Boot recovery console or other partition OS.

2. backup %systemroot%\system32\config\system ( and system.alt )

3. copy system from %systemroot%\repair

4. Reboot.

5. ReInstall drivers.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

%systemroot%\repair\system is from 2008 and less than 1MB in size. The current registry, %systemroot%\system32\config\system is ~6MB. Will that be a problem?

Thank you.

%systemroot%\repair\system is from 2008 and less than 1MB in size. The current registry, %systemroot%\system32\config\system is ~6MB. Will that be a problem?

The small system file created on completed windows 2000 setup.

So you must reinstall all drivers and services.

If your problem will not resolve, you restore from backup.

so, it may be hardware problem.

Thank you.

The small system file created on completed windows 2000 setup.

So you must reinstall all drivers and services.

If your problem will not resolve, you restore from backup.

so, it may be hardware problem.

Thank you, it may be hardware problem.

I’m using a new NEC PA-series monitor, these have a built-in KVM Switch, “DisplaySync Pro”. I plugged in a different win2k machine and have the same problem. I can no longer wake the machines from suspend S3 by keyboard or mouse. I have to press the chassis power button, then the machine resumes from S3 but the keyboard repeat rate goes to default. So... Win2k does NOT power the USB hub during S3 but Win7 and Linux works ok. Any ideas?