pci video card win98se and legacy vga

creviel

I recently built a new pc to run win98se, specifically for a acoustic measurement program that runs in dos. Everything works fine but the motherboards built in video is awful. I tried to install an nvidia 6200 pci card, bit it crashes windows when i try to load my measurement program. Does anyone have a sugestion for a pci video card that would work?

Thank you

Creviel

You can still find PCI ATI Radeon 9200 if you look carefully...

The problem is, it should already work with your 6200, so you might face the same problem with a different card.

You say it's a dos program ? Well, you might want to check if other DOS programs work from within Windows with the 6200 first.

It could also be related to the fact you have 2 graphic cards. You could try to disable the integrated graphic card in BIOS (if possible) or at least in Windows, and see how it goes...

Glock,

I will try your suggestion of disabling video in the bios, but first I will need to reinstall the card and driver. Whenever I first installed the card it would work with the standard windows driver at very low vga resolution (I forget the exact number), but when I installed the win 98se driver from nvidia thats when my measurment program would crash windows. Nvidia said they could not help me with a dos problem then I could not uninstall the driver "this program has performed an illegal operation" error message. At that point I reinstalled windows with out the card.

Thank you

According to my observations many Nvidia and Ati cards do have problems with DOS applications. Sometimes newer driver versions are more stable, but sometimes not.

In case of AGP, the Nvidia seems to be more reliable, when Ati seems to be better with PCI-E. When it comes to plain old PCI cards with S3 chip were very reliable. I forgot most of my results with plain PCI, anyway.