Boot Img file disappears in WDS 2003

fred2k3

Hello,

I'm attempting to setup a customised boot image in Windows Deployment Services 2003 to act as a Windows PE boot, but the image file keeps disappearing when I refresh WDS. This only occurs with the custom boot image - if I add a fresh boot.wim (from a Windows 7 disc) it doesn't do its vanishing trick.

The customisation I've done involves adding a network driver to an offline image using DISM from Win AIK: Here is the Procedure

When I then add the boot image in WDS it says it has been added successfully, but if I refresh the service it disappears without a trace.

Hello,

I'm attempting to setup a customised boot image in Windows Deployment Services 2003 to act as a Windows PE boot, but the image file keeps disappearing when I refresh WDS. This only occurs with the custom boot image - if I add a fresh boot.wim (from a Windows 7 disc) it doesn't do its vanishing trick.

The customisation I've done involves adding a network driver to an offline image using DISM from Win AIK: Here is the Procedure

When I then add the boot image in WDS it says it has been added successfully, but if I refresh the service it disappears without a trace.

While looking for a solution to your problem I came across this thread on the TechNet forum which suggests the problem may reside in the method in which you injected the drivers.

I recommend considering the use of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) to customize your image with additional drivers, applications, etc. MDT is completely free and many find it to be extremely beneficial as it combines all of the official Microsoft tools (Sysprep, Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK), and Windows System Image Manager (WSIM)) into a single workbench interface that can help automate both the imaging and deployment process. It is also compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2, which means learning one utility to do all of your deployments. Furthermore, as stated above, it is exceptionally useful in creating “universal” images as it can easily add or remove drivers or applications from the deployment images.

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Tripredacus - Yes I'm using AIK for Win7 on Server2003R2.

This has been solved now - it was because I was selecting index 1 when mounting the image to inject drivers, and this may have been corrupting the image. Selecting index 2 (the setup index) was the correct method.

Thanks again for the help.