Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Blue, Blue Everywhere ...

Is Microsoft making yet another careless mistake reminiscent of the Metro naming fiasco and the missing EU Windows 7 browser ballot? I think so. First, notice the numerous "Blue" stories, here are just a few ...

... A couple of Register commenters have noticed something I did as well. Lets step through this in order ...

<A> We've known all about their cloud services "Azure" since about 3 years now, Wikipedia: Windows Azure ( 2010-02-01 ).

<B> Then, almost exactly one year ago we had the new Windows Logo Microsoft Unveils a Brand New Windows Logo ( 2012-02-18 ) where they sacked the 4-color flag in favor of an IBM-like light blue last seen in Windows 1.0.

TlXTDaG.jpg

<C> Then we heard of Windows "Blue" a month after Windows 8 launch: Windows Blue is Microsoft's future low-cost OS with yearly updates ( 2012-11-28 ).

Now let's review what the color "Azure" actually is. Wikipedia: Azure (color)

uL5m54U.jpg

Obviously: Azure == Blue ( color ) == Cloud Services == Windows "Blue" and other application Updates

So it should be pretty simple now to disregard as propaganda the Windows Update called "Blue" and instead associate it with Cloud instead. Perhaps finally the long suspected pushing of subscription models into all their products, in fact I'd say it is patently obvious this is the direction. First they offer both Office Desktop and Office 364, then phase out the workstation software as the company suicide proceeds. Then, take next product, rinse repeat, continue until all products are subscription and all normal users hate their guts. ( Ironically with the crazy pace of Windows releases at almost every 3 years since Win3x, you might say we already have a subscription model, just divide the price by 3 to see what your annual bill already is. The same exact thing can be said for Office obviously in the identical time frame. )

However, this isn't the mistake I was thinking about, though indeed the subscription thing is a mistake. No, the mistake ( also noticed by at least one Register commenter ) is the 3 year ongoing evolution to all things "Blue". IBM owns everything blue, at least in spirit but more likely in copyright as well. Big Blue is IBM, so perhaps Little Blue is Microsoft? The mistake is actually two-fold ... (1) another possible Metro-like trademark infringement, and (2) the obvious bad idea of opening up themselves to all manner of parody - BSOD ( blue screen of death ), Singing the Blues, and even the Titanic sinking in a Blue Ocean, "Code Blue". Okay, I'll start ...

2Zuumjs.jpg

EDIT: typos, someone suggested "Code Blue" :thumbup ( but I lost the reference to credit ), updated image URLs, and again

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Someone's excited. Can you guess who ...

Actually some of the commenters at NeoWin say they called around and found out some stores like Best Buy only had a single unit in stock of each size ( ADDED: read the comments at Thurrott, I almost feel sorry for him :lol: ). That is exactly how you can manufacture a success story - limit initial shipments to ensure an immediate sellout. Then replenish the stock and say they are trying to meet demand! It's a no lose scenario. Similar tricks occur in politics. So in reality, release statistics or it didn't happen.

If we ever find out the actual numbers then they probably sold some units finally. If not ( remember that Surface RT still hasn't been released, so assume major fail ) then it's dead.

This post can be linked backed to later if the truth ever emerges.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

337px-Lapis_lazuli_block.jpg

Obviously: Azure == Blue ( color ) == Cloud Services == Windows "Blue" and other application Updates

Great deductive work, Sherlock!(*) I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you're right. Someone should pass the theory over to Mary Jo Foley or other Microsoft watchers, and see if it makes sense to them, or jibes with what they know.

As far as MSFT emulating IBM, at this point I wouldn't mind terribly if they shifted their focus to obscure enterprise services and sold their current business to somebody who cares to continue it.

But it WOULD be delicious if they got slapped with a suit for the "Blue" thing. Legend has it that, way back when, IBM dropped the ball on licensing DOS, figuring that the real money was in the hardware; so this would be a kind of payback.

--JorgeA

EDIT: (*) Meant as a compliment!!!

Edited by JorgeA

I admit it, I don't quite "get" Paul Thurrott.

He makes his money primarily with Windows enthusiasts and Windows IT pros. If Microsoft's plan is to cater primarily to the Angry Birdies, this group of customers will die out. And the Angry Bird people sure won't buy Thurrott's books about Windows' internals, nor go to his websites. So why is he *so* emotionally invested in killing traditional Windows? Isn't that kinda self-defeating?

I don't think it's mere "Microsoft bribes". He almost orgasms in this article about the Surface:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/surface-pro-128-gb-immediately-sells-out

Edited by Formfiller

Blue, Blue Everywhere ...

Is Microsoft making yet another careless mistake reminiscent of the Metro naming fiasco and the missing EU Windows 7 browser ballot? I think so. First, notice the numerous "Blue" stories, here are just a few ...

... A couple of Register commenters have noticed something I did as well. Lets step through this in order ...

<A> We've known all about their cloud services "Azure" since about 3 years now, Wikipedia: Windows Azure ( 2010-02-01 ).

<B> Then, almost exactly one year ago we had the new Windows Logo Microsoft Unveils a Brand New Windows Logo ( 2012-02-18 ) where they sacked the 4-color flag in favor of an IBM-like light blue last seen in Windows 1.0.

microsoft-windows-logo,9-B-326927-13.jpg

<C> Then we heard of Windows "Blue" a month after Windows 8 launch: Windows Blue is Microsoft's future low-cost OS with yearly updates ( 2012-11-28 ).

337px-Lapis_lazuli_block.jpg

So it should be pretty simple now to disregard as propaganda the Windows Update called "Blue" and instead associate it with Cloud instead. Perhaps finally the long suspected pushing of subscription models into all their products, in fact I'd say it is patently obvious this is the direction. First they offer both Office Desktop and Office 364, then phase out the workstation software as the company suicide proceeds. Then, take next product, rinse repeat, continue until all products are subscription and all normal users hate their guts. ( Ironically with the crazy pace of Windows releases at almost every 3 years since Win3x, you might say we already have a subscription model, just divide the price by 3 to see what your annual bill already is. The same exact thing can be said for Office obviously in the identical time frame. )

However, this isn't the mistake I was thinking about, though indeed the subscription thing is a mistake. No, the mistake ( also noticed by at least one Register commenter ) is the 3 year ongoing evolution to all things "Blue". IBM owns everything blue, at least in spirit but more likely in copyright as well. Big Blue is IBM, so perhaps Little Blue is Microsoft? The mistake is actually two-fold ... (1) another possible Metro-like trademark infringement, and (2) the obvious bad idea of opening up themselves to all manner of parody - BSOD ( blue screen of death ), Singing the Blues, and even the Titanic sinking in a Blue Ocean. Okay, I'll start ...

bJ81AaS.jpg

EDIT: typos

..yep, thats what Im talking about,bru.

Since w3.11, there is no such a numbness BSODs.

Take a look @ the near past:

..no doubt, culprit must b an Apple looks like, windows navigator :hello:

Edited by TheBigBang

Question: Where are the clouds?

Answer: They are in the sky*.

Question: Which colour is the sky?

Answer: Blue.

Question: Very good, Timmy, do you know some other names for the colour of the sky?

Answer: Cyan, Azure.

The matter has been established overhearing a fifth grade class. :whistle:

JFYI, azzurro is not really a shade of blue in Italian, it has it's "own dignity", blu (or blue) corresponds to "navy blue".

jaclaz

*together with Lucy and diamonds :w00t:

OT, but not much ;) :

Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue, blue sky soft

And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon riping apple tree

There is no safer alternative than to keep your own stuff on your own storage media, located in a place controlled by you. Which is why 64GB Surface tablets just don't cut it.

--JorgeA

If you can't touch it, you don't own it. :thumbup

People better take note of this stuff, I don't know how you can make it any clearer really. Mis-identified pictures disappearing from Skydrive, suspended accounts, the whole Mega fiasco with countless unrelated sites suddenly locking down access just to be sure. There soon will be no private property, and peer-to-peer communication if allowed will be monitored like a visit to a convict in prison.

The cloud is a proxy for traditional server overlords. Your position in that age-old client-server relationship has always been obedience and submission, with a side-order of begging the admin or sysop for favorable treatment. I for one do not welcome our new ( or old ) overlords.

Imagine:

Imagine there's no countries

Imagine no possessions

Globalization + Cloud services... are we there yet? Suddenly, this tune is feeling very creepy. :sneaky:

There is no safer alternative than to keep your own stuff on your own storage media, located in a place controlled by you. Which is why 64GB Surface tablets just don't cut it.

--JorgeA

If you can't touch it, you don't own it. :thumbup

That's a great motto, I love it! :yes:

--JorgeA

Imagine there's no countries

Imagine no possessions

Globalization + Cloud services... are we there yet? Suddenly, this tune is feeling very creepy. :sneaky:

You know, for a long time I've thought that the vision set out in that song is pretty horrible. (If there's nothing to kill or die for, then there's nothing to live for.) But now that you mention it, in some ways current trends in computing do seem to be pulling us in that direction. :ph34r:

Wow.

--JorgeA

Question: Where are the clouds?

Answer: They are in the sky*.

Question: Which colour is the sky?

Answer: Blue.

Question: Very good, Timmy, do you know some other names for the colour of the sky?

Answer: Cyan, Azure.

The matter has been established overhearing a fifth grade class. :whistle:

JFYI, azzurro is not really a shade of blue in Italian, it has it's "own dignity", blu (or blue) corresponds to "navy blue".

jaclaz

*together with Lucy and diamonds :w00t:

OT, but not much ;) :

Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue, blue sky soft

And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon riping apple tree

:lol:

It's amazing that few (if anybody) anywhere, before @CharlotteTheHarlot, did make that connection, which now seems so obvious. Makes you go, "Dang, why didn't *I* think of that?" But the truth is that it wasn't so easy to make the connection, requiring mainly stepping back to take a wider look at the situation.

--JorgeA

That was funny, I'd never seen that video.

Somebody expert should investigate your issue with all the Windows 8 BSOD's. I would be curious to know what's causing them.

--JorgeA

Somebody expert should investigate your issue with all the Windows 8 BSOD's. I would be curious to know what's causing them.

--JorgeA

BSODs r not so frequent, but in regard of w7, :yes: they r..

e.g., in W7 BSOD never occurred.

Also, there is no rule, simply it happens without any logical conclusion, i.e. clue .

btw,I expect a 'BLUE' thing or SP1 would b a solution.

Edited by TheBigBang

MSFN was down all day today (Monday). Gotta wonder if it didn't have something to do with word getting out to Win8 fans over at Neowin about our critique of Windows 8 here...

Hoping it was only a coincidence, but it's the second time this month that we've had SQL problems.

--JorgeA

--JorgeA

BSODs r not so frequent, but in regard of w7, :yes: they r..

e.g., in W7 BSOD never occurred.

Also, there is no rule, simply it happens without any logical conclusion, i.e. clue .

btw,I expect a 'BLUE' thing or SP1 would b a solution.

I'm no expert on such deep technical issues, but I'll look around and see what turns up with respect to Win8 and BSODs.

--JorgeA