Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Just for the record, traditionally 6.21 (in the good ol' days) didn't last a lot, it was a "quick fix" (strangely enough connected with a patent infringement) before the 6.22 was released:

http://www.oldcomputermuseum.com/os/msdos_6.21.html

jaclaz

I was always torn on that one. On one hand, yes, Microsoft absolutely boosted the algorithm from the Stacker source. On the other hand, the algorithm was yet another implementation of LZ77 + Huffman encoding (PKZIP, gzip, PNG, etc.) and wasn't anything particularly innovative. I'd have been more satisfied were Microsoft found guilty of copyright infringement rather than patent infringement. Admittedly, I haven't gone through the patents, but I wouldn't be surprised if they read something like "Apply LZ77 + Huffman to FAT rather than individual files." Groundbreaking.

... The XboxFiles just got a whole lot more interesting! ...

Microsoft creative director on always-on console: #dealwithit ( TechSpot 2013-04-05 )

Microsoft Studios creative director debates 'always on' game console stance ( NeoWin 2013-04-05 )

Microsoft creative director: 'I don't get the drama' over 'always-on' Xbox rumors ( The Verge 2013-04-05 )

Microsoft Xbox gaffe reveals cloudy arrogance. ( No, we're not all online all the time ) ( UK Register 2013-04-05 )

Microsoft issues statement apologizing for employee's Twitter comments on next-generation Xbox ( The Verge 2013-04-05 )

Snarky Microsoft Director Tweets Support for Always-On Consoles ( Maximum PC 2013-04-05 )

Microsoft employee on rumored Xbox Internet requirement: “#dealwithit” ( Ars Technica 2013-04-05 )

Microsoft apologizes for employee's 'inappropriate' Twitter comments ( NeoWin 2013-04-05 )

Microsoft, BioWare Argue Over 'Always Online' Console ( Tom's Hardware 2013-04-07 )

"Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an always-on console," Orth tweeted. "Every device is 'always on'. That's the world we live in. #dealwithit."

When it was pointed out to him that not everyone lives in a world where internet access is guaranteed – such as Janesville, Wisconsin or Blacksberg, Virginia – Orth's response was tactless, although one suspects accurate from his point of view.

"Why on earth would I live there?"

Wow, just wow. That patented Microsoft arrogance with a generous side order of siege mentality. These Softies couldn't be more tone-deaf if they pounded spikes into their ears.

After the gaffe by Creative Director "Orthy", he moved into damage control mode, that means lying, and walked it back by trying to tell us he was in a private discussion ...

Na2Xkh0.png

... Yeah right, a private conversation on Twitter by a person self-identified as a Microsoft employee.

Well that wasn't the end of it ...

Microsoft has released an official response ...
We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.

Of course the apology concerns the PC aspect of city vs rural sensibilities, which is one thing, but the larger point of Microsoft arrogance and the destruction of their next relatively successful intellectual property, the Xbox, is still on the front burner. Their path of wanton destruction through their portfolio continues unabated. It's as if Steve Jobs is haunting the halls of Redmond. :yes:

And the punchline has to be: "his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.". Customer centric? :lol: Pheww. This is like the Keystone cops. Circular firing qquad. The Gang that couldn't shoot straight. The earlier comparison to EA is looking very prescient now.

sharing-defeat.jpg

EDIT: added article(s)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Adam_Orth - Sorry I don't get the drama around having an "always on" console. Every device now is "always on". That's the world we live in. #dealwithit

Manveerheir - Did you learn nothing from Diablo III or SimCity? You know some people's internet goes out right? Deal with it is Sh***y response.

Adam_Orth - Electricity goes out too.

Manveerheir - You've live in LA, SF, Seattle...very connected places. Try living in Janesville, WI or Blacksburg, VA.

Adam_Oth - Why on earth would I live there?

Oh yea, I know this attitude from MS reps. On channel9 I had a lively flame war about their klling-off of Small Business Server. Topic came up that many places, even in the developed world, have bad internet connections and they just can't go full-cloud. Laws in many countries forbid full-cloud solutions for "sensible" professions too (like lawyers). The response of their main shill there was basically "who cares?"

Here it is:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Microsoft-continues-to-please-their-existing-customers?page=3

>Are you also aware, internet connection aside, that in some countries cloud computing on foreign servers is effectively forbidden for certain professions, like lawyers?

>So to be with the new Microsoft vision, you need to relocate your business. Wooha!

MS rep reply: In some countries (like North Korea and Syria) it's illegal to run Microsoft Server entirely. I wonder how much Microsoft gives a ****. Or the users in that country for that matter.

Their arrogance and loon-attitude is sky high nowadays. Funny thing is that the more under pressure, the more arrogant they become. Inverting all common sense business rules. That Channel9 link has more such gems. Recommended reading.

(small) Pearls of wisdom for today (directly from MS Windows 8 site):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-sign-in-as-administrator

How do I know I'm signed in as an administrator?

To sign in as an administrator, you need to know the user name and password for an administrator account on the PC.

Sure, :yes: but I actually asked you how do I know if I am ALREADY signed in as an administrator, if I wanted to know how to to sign in as an administrator, I would have asked that question INSTEAD.

If you don't have an administrator account, you can ask an administrator to change your account type.

Listen, pal, if I had an administrator available, I would have asked him/her this question, and not come here to be told to find an administrator! :rolleyes:

If you're not sure which type of account you have, you can check after you've signed in by doing the following:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.

But I don't want to change any setting! :ph34r: I just want to know if I am signed in as administrator... :angel

Your account type is displayed below your user name.

Ah, OK, thanks. :)

If your account type is Administrator, then you're currently signed in as an administrator.

Really :w00t: I actually was unable to draw this conclusion myself, I can §@ç#ing READ, you know :realmad: (otherwise I would have asked an administrator, hoping he can actually read .... )

jaclaz

Neowin masochists are at it again. I am seriously thinking about launching that kickstarter SM studio coupon project to relieve these whinnies:

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-studios-creative-director-debates-always-on-game-console-stance

whats funny is most of the people "outraged" all have 24/7 internet. I hope this rumor is true, it will instantly get rid of dirty pirates. you can all say you wont buy the next xbox,but if this pleases developers,guess where they are going to start putting their resources? exactly. you can have your ps4 that wont have all the latest and greatest games.

Microsoft should build what they want to build, not be forced into serving a million entitled masters.

Customer satisfaction is for the weak minded, the only good customer-corp relation is being kicked in the a** while shoving money in theirs.

The strategic errors just pile up ...

Microsoft pokes fun at Facebook Home and Mark Zuckerberg ( NeoWin 2013-04-04 )

Microsoft's Frank Shaw joins the Facebook Home bashing crowd ( NeoWin 2013-04-04 )

Microsoft disses Facebook Home as so 'two years ago' ( The Verge 2013-04-05 )

I am dumbfounded by this story on two levels ...

One: that Microsoft was caught completely flatfooted here, and if not by surprise, then they were specifically targeted to be NOT invited to this party. This announcement from Facebook is all about Android, in a big way. In fact it is huge to the point that it alone might kill the Microsoft WP effort. I see this as a huge win for Android and for all mid-range to lower-end phones. Facebook just gave the non-premium range of phones a perfectly good reason to be happy with their devices. And even though there is only the one HTC "Facebook phone" thus far, I would expect a bunch more later. If WP has any real chance at all, someone is gonna have to explain it to me.

Two: Microsoft not only got left out, but now they decide to use their Scroogle-esque arrogance and get snarky about it. They have some seriously mentally ill people in Redmond. This is not a professional company any longer. And it is not a good idea to antagonize a service that has around a billion users. Oh wait, never mind, they already are doing that with the Windows user base.

The post by Frank Shaw was pathetic. They don't get it that Windows Phone is a niche system (that's what you get for abandoning your mobile customers constanty - Microsoft: "Windows Mobile? Never existed!" [metro as a design language doesn't seem to wow people either]).

They remind me of the Linuxistas back when MS didn't receive their strategic papers from the loony bin. They would also act offended when some company used a feature they had before; "we had repositories before Apple!" *whine*. Well, no one cares, since almost no one uses them when you're a 1% system. Was Microsoft seriously thinking that no one ever would implement some WP features on a non-niche OS?

whats funny is most of the people "outraged" all have 24/7 internet. I hope this rumor is true, it will instantly get rid of dirty pirates.

What these people aren't saying is that the kind of 'piracy' prevented by always online is in regards to microtranactions, which is an undesirable feature to start with. Gamers put up with it in always-online free-to-play games because they recognize it as an economic reality, but cosmetic bolt-ons and especially pay-to-win are highly undesirable in full retail games.

you can all say you wont buy the next xbox,but if this pleases developers,guess where they are going to start putting their resources?

Wherever the customers go.

exactly. you can have your ps4 that wont have all the latest and greatest games.

That would be corporate suicide.

Microsoft should build what they want to build, not be forced into serving a million entitled masters.

Yeah, how dare people expect to change money for working products. Having millions of them is even worse. Can't they just jive the corporations all their money and shut up about it?

Yeah, how dare people expect to change money for working products. Having millions of them is even worse. Can't they just jive the corporations all their money and shut up about it?

Bears the question what the f*** is wrong with these enablers? I have no love for people who pirate so much stuff that they could fill ten blu-rays everyday, but this other extreme of willful corporate servitude p***es me off.

I am starting to believe that these folks are genuinely masochistically inclined. What do you think? Begging corps. to deliver a worse experience in return for cash, and cheering them on when they really do it, is way beyond fanboy. It's also interesting that the juices of these retards begin really to flow when it's about forced big brother type tech. They get really excited then.

Edited by Formfiller

I think it would greatly strengthen the case if they could demonstrate that not only are the games designed to be addictive to kids but that the transaction systems are often virtually indistinguishable from slot-machine style gambling.

Unless the FTC et al get involved, settlement is highly likely and this case is unlikely to see a courtroom.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-pokes-fun-at-facebook-home-and-mark-zuckerberg

Oh the irony. The fanboys and shills there are talking about how Facebook is irrelevant and could share the fate of MySpace any minute.. yet MS hardcoded FB into Windows Phone (and W8) in! Maybe it wasn't so smart to force all that social crap upon everyone, huh? I also think that FB is somewhat over-hyped, but watching Windows Phone fans deriding it is hilarious.

It's like Steam users calling computer games to be a waste of time.

I have no love for people who pirate so much stuff that they could fill ten blu-rays everyday

Minor disagreement but I feel these kind of people are "less wrong" than casual pirates. The reason is that the collectors spend so much time downloading and processing that it greatly cuts into entertainment time. I think a pathology is involved and that these people would be unlikely to translate into significant recovered sales. I think collectors are more interested in bragging about the state of their collection rather than consuming the content. Casual pirates on the other hand probably comprise the bulk of lost sales, even though they may actually buy the majority of items they consume.

I am starting to believe that these folks are genuinely masochistically inclined. What do you think? Begging corps. to deliver a worse experience in return for cash, and cheering them on when they really do it, is way beyond fanboy. It's also interesting that the juices of these retards begin really to flow when it's about forced big brother type tech. They get really excited then.

What about getting excited when people start dropping out, e.g. due to lack of stable, high speed Internet? This probably intersects with another line of thought common in gaming: hatred of casuals. The sycophants seem to think that gaming will improve if the customer base shrinks dramatically. I'm sure they'd change their minds once the gaming industry lost 80% of its revenue.

When people complained about lag and rubber-banding in Diablo 3, some Blizzard fanboys said, in earnest, that you shouldn't be playing games unless you're willing to relocate to Southern California or South Korea. These people also expect you to have premium Internet subscriptions to multiple ISPs. Again, if there is no such thing as a premium ISP in your immediate area, then it's your fault for not gambling your livelihood just to play some game that you'll be sick of in 2-3 weeks anyway.

I'm sure the same kind of comments happened with Sim City, which was totally inoperable for something like 10 days, but I knew what was going to happen before it was released just by knowing who was publishing it. I'm sure EA has their own troll base. Another popular one is "You're not buying a license to the game but permission to connect to their servers. If the server said that the game was down then that's all that's required. Anything more is generosity by the company and from that point on the game is free to play. You should be grateful."

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-developing-its-own-google-glass-rival-says-analyst-really

Microsoft developing its own Google Glass rival, says analyst. Really?

The comments are tarded as usual - "they had this stuff in the labs even before Google existed! They are not copying.." Who cares? Actually, if true, it makes it only more pathetic. What were they doing all these decades? Classic "Linux had multi-tasking before..." whining. No one gave a crap then, no one gives a crap now for the metrotard whine choir.

I wonder whether MS will glassify metro now, dumbing it further down.

More stuff:

http://www.neowin.net/news/editorial-the-internet-in-the-us-isnt-built-for-an-always-on-game-console

Neowin moves a nanometer from the MS party-line, the tards are for the most part enraged! Hilarious, really. First thought I had was "Lord of the Flies".

Edited by Formfiller

The latest on the drubbing Microsoft is taking on the Xbox ...

UK game retailers are already against an "always on" next Xbox ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

Editorial: The Internet in the U.S. isn't built for an "always on" game console ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

NeoBytes :) "My name is Francis. This is my Xbox. And this is my axe." ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

Always Online Adam Orth ... QuickMeme!

Jeez Louise. There are certain issues that really bring out the kooks, and this Xbox stuff is one of them. They just cannot resist the urge to make complete fools out of themselves. ...

Perfectly lucid commenter: "I'd like to say thanks to everyone that helped make this conversation possible. Rumor or not, I promise you Microsoft is listening and now they have no excuse if they try to jam it down our throats later this year. DRM is a big motivator here but it's also part of their much broader strategy to infiltrate every facet of your life, much like Google, little by little, more and more of everything you do is known to corporations/government."

MetroTard (actually an Uber-Softie): "^Perfect example of the Luddite movement I was talking about."

:blink: To resist the big brother always-on walled-garden is to be a Luddite! :lol: And that's just one small example, if you figure out who that poster is check out his trail of stubborn propaganda, at NeoWin and many other sites. I suspect he is a Softie, but if not, he is a certifiable astroturfer. Oh waitaminit, I think I smell a meme ( or he really gets around ).

So anyway, these big controversies serve an excellent purpose. They let us see just how far out on a creaking limb some people will crawl to protect their cult. It's absolutely stunning.

And from their Skype "service" ...

Bitcoin mining malware spreading on Skype ( ComputerWorld 2013-04-05 )

Malware spread on Skype taps victim PCs to mint bitcoins ( Ars Technica 2013-04-05 )

New Bitcoin mining malware spreading on Skype at 2,000 clicks per hour ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

Bitcoin-mining trojan spreading through Skype spam, Kaspersky warns ( Tom's Hardware 2013-04-08 )

See, I never thought this was a particularly smart buy for Microsoft. Trying to purchase and then monetize a service designed for and used mostly by frugal people trying to cut their phone costs is simply illogical. But more importantly, you buy it, you own as I mentioned earlier. Previously Skype was a hit-or-miss independent operation and you simply expected it to fail every so often. Now it is a Microsoft operation and as usual they are ( pardon the pun ) phoning it in. The problems still remain or may be accelerating, but now they are Microsoft branded problems. Microsoft owns it. Microsoft is spreading malware, turning in activists to the Chinese government and co-operating with the FBI against their "loyal customers". IMHO, no amount of revenue from this "service" is worth the hit to their reputation. But obviously, Ballmer thinks otherwise. :yes:

Why Windows fragmentation will blow Windows to smithereens (cough) ( ZDNet 2013-04-05 )

This is that author SJVN mentioned in an earlier post by HalloweenDocument12 who I wasn't aware of. He is actually poking fun at the Android hater crowd. But I won't spoil his clever plan. :lol: Naturally the MicroZealots are reeled right in. It's like fishing with dynamite in a stocked lake.

Alienware’s latest gaming PC has Linux on it, plays “over 25 games” ( Ars Technica 2013-04-05 )

Dell now offering Ubuntu Linux OS as option for Alienware X51 gaming PC ( ZDNet 2013-04-06 )

Dell Now Offering Ubuntu on Alienware X51 Machines ( Tom's Hardware 2013-04-10 )

The Ubuntu flavor of Linux has received a major endorsement from Dell with its announcement that it will offer the OS as an option for its Alienware X51 gaming rig.

The diminuitive PC starts at just $599 for a system with an Intel Core i3-3220 processor, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and Nvidia GeForce GTX 645 graphics. (Of course, you can load on the upgraded components for additional cash.) Previously only available as a Windows system, the X51 now can be equipped with Ubuntu Linux 12.04.

Ruh Roh! Are they worried yet? They better be. And that's not really a bad price today since the Windows 8 tax kicked in during Q4 2012. Last year that would have been an average price for a very nice Windows 7 system. Flashback to October 5, 2012 ...

21OOX.jpg

EDIT: added link(s)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot