Question regarding Windows 98SE reinstallation

UltimateSilence

When I ran Windows 98 Second Edition setup from the CD-ROM in DOS, it stated that I could 1: cancel 2: reinstall Windows 98 over my existing installation.

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if I chose the latter? Would it erase everything?

Just wanted to ask... I know I've asked a lot of questions already. :ph34r:

But perhaps it's a good thing? Not only does it normally solve my problem...but sometimes questions lead to more questions, which in turn lead to more answers. I like to think it's beneficial for those who may run into the same situation, or for those who might be afraid to ask.

Edited by UltimateSilence

As I said before, it leaves all installed APPLICATIONS (this is NOT the Windows OS or anything in Add/Remove WINDOWS Components) and any Registry Settings for said Applications.

In addition, it leaves ANY Registry settings for any Hotfixes/Updates in Add/Remove Programs (where you ALSO see Applications). This will NOT include "hidden" Hotfixes (I mentioned that too - they are found in "Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information" and may not include ALL Hotfixes. SOME are NOT visible ANYWHERE (MS Hotfixes, particularly).

Any Internet Explorer Upgrades will also be present EXCEPT those components in that PACKAGE that are "overlaid" by an OS Reinstall.

Some/Any "Unofficial Hotfixes/Updates" that RENAME Original Windows Components (this means INDIVIDUAL FILES) may NOT be "reinstalled" due to (e.g.) "component.old" still existing (this would have been the ORIGINAL Windows Installation Component that was saved for the purpose of UNINSTALL (you will see those items STILL EXISTING in Add/Remove Programs).

That is why I said YOU MUST isolate ALL "renamed" Components and REMOVE the (e.g.) "something.old" (or whatever) AND the Associated Add/Remove entry within the Registry and DELETE or MOVE them elsewhere.

If the above steps are not taken, you will have a BAD time reinstalling anything above and beyond the Reinstall.

In addition, MANY Application Installs MAY install a NEWER version of "component.xxx" (an ORIGINAL Windows file), therefore the Application will incorrectly function.

ISOLATE the not-Originals and MOVE them elsewhere, FIX the Registry, and Reinstall any Applications. THEN the "Hotfixes/Updates" (official and unofficial) may be reapplied.

A tedious operation. The "list" of greater-than-"04/23/1999" is what you are looking for...

If you're not concerned with anything on the HDD, FORMAT and REINSTALL (start from scratch). Reinstall any Applications, then apply the appropriate Hotfix "packages".

Backup you DATA if you don't want to lose it. Find any DRIVERS you may need and have them ready. Have Application Install Packages (e.g. Nero) and Keys offloaded and ready to reinstall.

Edited by submix8c

As I said before, it leaves all installed APPLICATIONS (this is NOT the Windows OS or anything in Add/Remove WINDOWS Components) and any Registry Settings for said Applications.

In addition, it leaves ANY Registry settings for any Hotfixes/Updates in Add/Remove Programs (where you ALSO see Applications). This will NOT include "hidden" Hotfixes (I mentioned that too - they are found in "Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information" and may not include ALL Hotfixes. SOME are NOT visible ANYWHERE (MS Hotfixes, particularly).

Any Internet Explorer Upgrades will also be present EXCEPT those components in that PACKAGE that are "overlaid" by an OS Reinstall.

Some/Any "Unofficial Hotfixes/Updates" that RENAME Original Windows Components (this means INDIVIDUAL FILES) may NOT be "reinstalled" due to (e.g.) "component.old" still existing (this would have been the ORIGINAL Windows Installation Component that was saved for the purpose of UNINSTALL (you will see those items STILL EXISTING in Add/Remove Programs).

That is why I said YOU MUST isolate ALL "renamed" Components and REMOVE the (e.g.) "something.old" (or whatever) AND the Associated Add/Remove entry within the Registry and DELETE or MOVE them elsewhere.

If the above steps are not taken, you will have a BAD time reinstalling anything above and beyond the Reinstall.

In addition, MANY Application Installs MAY install a NEWER version of "component.xxx" (an ORIGINAL Windows file), therefore the Application will incorrectly function.

ISOLATE the not-Originals and MOVE them elsewhere, FIX the Registry, and Reinstall any Applications. THEN the "Hotfixes/Updates" (official and unofficial) may be reapplied.

A tedious operation. The "list" of greater-than-"04/23/1999" is what you are looking for...

If you're not concerned with anything on the HDD, FORMAT and REINSTALL (start from scratch). Reinstall any Applications, then apply the appropriate Hotfix "packages".

Backup you DATA if you don't want to lose it. Find any DRIVERS you may need and have them ready. Have Application Install Packages (e.g. Nero) and Keys offloaded and ready to reinstall.

That does sound tedious.

I'm not concerned with anything on the hard drive (besides McAfee QuickClean...) Most of the "important" applications are on CDs or diskettes that I own.

The only thing preventing me from formatting is that in my computer history (98SE being the most recent OS I used until 2008), I've never once owned a computer (or drive) without it (i.e., there has always been a Window 98SE computer).

Edited by UltimateSilence