Active desktop & Open With option.

mrsk565

I need some help and I didnt know if anyone did this. But I cant get the open with option like win2k and XP. When I right click on a file it is only set to run under

One program. Making it take longer to open files having to goto the program and then openeing the file from there.

I also didnt know if anyone found a way to disable active desktop and use different formats of pictures without needing it. I think Xp is like that, the reason I ask is because sometimes having it on does cause alittle lag in performance. Anyway any help would be great on this. :)

UPDATE --- I have appied a registry edit to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT(*)SHELL

Make new key called openas then made a string and appied the code to the value data part

(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\

00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,00,75,00,\

6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,25,00,53,\

00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,\

79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,\

00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,4f,00,70,00,65,00,6e,00,41,00,\

73,00,5f,00,52,00,75,00,6e,00,44,00,4c,00,4c,00,20,00,25,00,31,00,00,00

To which made open with appear when I right clicked the picture to change the program and I got this error

This file does not have a program associeted to it to be used with it.

When I wanted to have a window and list of of programs to select from. anyone know this fix and active desktop please post here.

Edited by mrsk565

This is not exactly what you're wanting, and may or may not work for the files you're working on... but I thought I would mention it.

You can add a shortcut to the program you want to use in the Windows\SendTo folder, and then right-click on your file and choose "Send To" and click on the shortcut for the program.

I always add a shortcut to Notepad in my SendTo folder for editing batch files or various other file types.

Hi mrsk565,

I cant get the open with option like win2k and XP. When I right click on a file it is only set to run under One program.

Hold down the shift key before right-clicking, and the 'Open with...' entry will be displayed.

I also didnt know if anyone found a way to disable active desktop

http://www.google.fr/search?client=opera&rls=fr&q=disable+Active+Desktop&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#pq=disable+active+desktop&hl=fr&cp=24&gs_id=12&xhr=t&q=disable+Active+Desktop+%22windows+98%22&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&client=opera&hs=6DK&rls=fr&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=disable+Active+Desktop+%22windows+98%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=9248a1e4459848f3&biw=1020&bih=645

@ LoneCrusader,

I always add a shortcut to Notepad in my SendTo folder for editing batch files or various other file types.

Apply this Reg file and you will get an entry 'Open with Notepad' in right-click of any file

(very useful IMO :yes: ):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open]
@="Open with Notepa&d"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"

HTH

Charles :) .

EDIT:

Do you know any good ways of disabling active desktop but still using its wallpaper formats ?

If you disable Active desktop, you loose the stretch position for background,

and keep only center & tile formats.

Edited by CharlesF

Well that is a different way of doing things but I could probably get used to it. Do you know any good ways of disabling active desktop but still using its wallpaper formats ?

Unfortunately no :no:

Hold down the shift key before right-clicking, and the 'Open with...' entry will be displayed.

Apply this Reg file and you will get an entry 'Open with Notepad' in right-click of any file

(very useful IMO :yes: ):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open]
@="Open with Notepa&d"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"

HTH

Since we're on the subject of registry & shell "extensions" so to speak, does anyone know how to get EXPLORER to display the "Created" and "Accessed" file attributes along with "Modified" in Detail view?

does anyone know how to get EXPLORER to display the "Created" and "Accessed" file attributes along with "Modified" in Detail view?

I do not even know if it is possible (never seen)

BUT I am using happily a shell extension called 'InfoTip Extension v.2.0.4.106'

that is displaying all infos in the Explorer left margin (with 'As a web page' checked in Display),

or in a Tool tip (when the file is NOT in explorer).

It is creating a new tab in the right click context menu from where everything is customizable (except the targeted extension list):

It is very light and has become essential for me.

The author site is down, so try here for instance: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,63139-order,4/description.html

Enjoy.

Do you know any good ways of disabling active desktop but still using its wallpaper formats ?

If you disable Active desktop, you loose the stretch position for background,

and keep only center & tile formats.

Any decent wallpaper manager will bypass both of those issues with AD disabled. I am using Wallmagician FWIW. Also any good image viewer (such as XnView for example) will do the job.

And btw if you want more right click options for opening files without cluttering too much the context menu as a substitute for the rather poor and clunky built-in open with, then OpenExpert is a must.

OpenExpert is the easiest/most straightforward to configure but there is also Open++ (requires KernelEx) and Fast Explorer (not sure it can be found anymore but let me know if you want to get it) which is the most powerfull IMO.

I have all three installed and in permanent use and the built-in open with is disabled.

Edited by loblo

Since we're on the subject of registry & shell "extensions" so to speak, does anyone know how to get EXPLORER to display the "Created" and "Accessed" file attributes along with "Modified" in Detail view?

You would need a column handler shell extension dedicated to do that, perhaps there is one and you can find it if you are skilled enough with google search. Let us know if you find one.

Any decent wallpaper manager will bypass both of those issues with AD disabled. I am using Wallmagician FWIW. Also any good image viewer (such as XnView for example) will do the job.

Thanks I was kind of thinking that but havent got to finding a good program.Im also looking for wifi and defragmentor programs with no luck.

Not sure what exactly you're looking for but I know of those two WIFI packet capture utilities which work on win98:

AirSnare http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

NetStumbler http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

I think they both rely on the WinPcap network packet capture driver which must be installed. (Win98/ME compatible versions in the archive) http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm

As for defrag there is no free defrag replacement, all that exists is commercial/shareware. There is VoptXP 7.22 and Norton Speed Disk as part of Norton Utilities/SystemWork up to the 2005 version. There is also the old McAfee Disktune as part of Nuts&Bolts/McAffee Utilties/etc... from around 2000/1 but it's hard to find and in my experience (I haven't the very latest version) can defrag a 80GB volume but not a 120GB one. I don't think there is anything else apart from getting the defrag from WinME which is a bit faster than the Win98 one. There has been a specific topic about that some time ago which you may want to look for in case I missed something.

Edit: Sure I forgot something: the free Diskeeper Lite (http://majorgeeks.com/Diskeeper_Lite_d1207.html). It's good and fast and can defrag volumes that are in use but I once experienced severe data loss when Windows crashed while I was using it so beware of that.

Edited by loblo

Thanks, you and charles have helped alot. I got the Xnview so disabled active desktop, and also I can hold shift and open different files with diff programs. Faster and more convienent cool :thumbup

I made a brief attempt to look for such an extension last year. When nothing turned up, I tried to see if a function can be added to 98's webview via JavaScript to display those attributes. Unfortunately, 98 does not support Date Created and Last Accessed, although ME's webview does. As an alternative, a third party file manager such as 2xExplorer can be used to display these attributes, but I would still prefer to display it natively in Explorer.

Thanks, you and charles have helped alot. I got the Xnview so disabled active desktop, and also I can hold shift and open different files with diff programs. Faster and more convienent cool :thumbup

By disabling active desktop, you also gain the benefits of freeing some resources and a more stable system.

By disabling active desktop, you also gain the benefits of freeing some resources and a more stable system.

Indeed after disabling active desktop I have had less slowdowns. But in terms of statiblity, I still have crashes mostly on opera 11 run in kernelex and flash 10 too.

KernelEX is a big part of my web browsing since I need fairly new tools to download flash from my browser. Sometimes i'll be viewing a page when it will just BSOD on me

sometimes I can terminate opera and other times its too far gone.

Knowing all this means one thing. From what I've went through on 98se, I would say that its alomost perfect. Everyone here has done amazing things to push 98 into the next decade. But the thing I think more of us need to work on is the crashes, If we can fix these crashes then we will overcome the 9x bug of crashing.

Many of us already have some ideas, some are saying we need to fix more memory leaks. Others think that we need to create more tools and programs made for keeping

98 running smoothly. And some even talk about making kernelEx and the SP3 better for 98.

We have made many great steps in becoming well known and respected again for using 98. Most people would laugh or say we were idiots for not using Xp, But we showed them. We put up videos on youtube and several links to projects were people can get support and also contribute as well. In working together we can achive more then MS or any other development group has dared to dream, and we will stand together. Discouraging hack attacks and malware threats as we go. Those people will be no longer accepted and cast out to go somewheres else.

The more we push forward the more we will achive and stand together as one community which MS or any other person cannot touch. Dream Big :)

Edited by mrsk565