On EXPLORER.EXE v.4.72.3612.1700 and its mods

dencorso

Yes. gerislamico provided an interesting example of 161, but adjusted to the lenght of the 157 and with "98", not "95".

I think larryb123456 should be contacted and the original 157 and 161 bmps provided him, so he could come up with some killer bmps for both 95 and 98.

Once we have that I'll gladly create patch patterns for helping anyone interested in replacing them in some flavor of the "1700" explorer.

Yes. gerislamico provided an interesting example of 161, but adjusted to the lenght of the 157 and with "98", not "95".

I think larryb123456 should be contacted and the original 157 and 161 bmps provided him, so he could come up with some killer bmps for both 95 and 98.

Once we have that I'll gladly create patch patterns for helping anyone interested in replacing them in some flavor of the "1700" explorer.

Replacing them isn't the problem. It's simple using ResHacker or eXeScope. The problem is that on 95, the replacement banner MUST be gray, or it will look like the picture I posted.

In 98, the banner is extended based on the color of the "top end" of the banner. - i.e, if the end of the banner is black, it will extend in black to the top of the menu. In 95, no matter what color the banner is, above it will always be gray.

Either 98 auto-extends the 157 banner, or EXPLORER auto-extends the 157 banner. This does not happen for the 161 banner in 95. IMHO, there must be a "version check" somewhere in EXPLORER that chooses whether to use 157 or 161, based on the OS version.