Windows 7 OEM Files

mcsphog

I bought a new laptop and ran magic jellybean and got the Product ID and CD Key off the pre-installed windows 7 Home Premium 64- bit from Toshiba. I have a copy of WIndows 7 Home Premium disc and installed it to get rid of all the crap that comes on the laptop. After installing Windows 7, the product ID is the same on both, but the key number errors out upon trying to activate it. Is there certain files I need to pull off the laptop using the factory system to add to or overwrite on the other disc to Toshiba OEM it and make the CD key to work? Thank you.

Hope you have the recovery partition still on it... Better check the manufacturer for a "restore to factory" procedure (IF there is a recovery partition).

Not only do you need the key, you also need the associated OEM certificate for the given PC/Laptop. You'll probably have to "restore/recover" and get that item as well.

Dig into that and how to build an OEM-type install via unattended XML (using the "magic" key) and the vendor's/OEM's certificate.

HTH (and, no I don't know or won't say anymore than above).

hint: the certificate goes with a special storage area within the BIOS.

After installing the same Windows version you may activate it using the "Product key", to be found into the product label at the bottom of the laptop (valid for both 64 and 32 bits working modes).

This is not the solution you are asking for, but it could nevertheless be a good option.

HTH

Edited by cannie

Jellybean does indeed find a product key, but that's the OEM's master key for imaging, and isn't used for activation at all (rather the certificates in the OS for auto-activation against the BIOS instead). You will have to use the product key from the COA sticker affixed to the laptop itself to actually input a key you can activate, as previous posters have mentioned, or you will have to restore the old image and back up the auto-activation information to be restored during a restore of an image onto that machine. Instructions on how to back up / restore OEM activation can be found elsewhere on this board.