Difference between WDS and DVD distribution.

Changed the description of the thread as I was able to fix the last problem.

What I am seeing now, is something I just don't understand.

When I boot the system using a USB pen drive or DVD drive, all my scripts work but once finished I get an error message about windows cannot find a hard disk and requires drivers, however if I open up and command prompt I can see the drive with diskpart, and my script create the partitions so I know the drive is fine and working.

However if I take the same boot.wim file and copy it to my test WDS server and boot form there it see the drive fine, and windows can install

What the hell am I doing wrong!

Edited by lamaii

I don't get a error message box just the driver prompt window.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Load Driver

A Required CD/DVD device driver is missing............................................................

Browse OK Cancel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've attchached the setupact log, the setuperr.log file was empty.

If I use "Shift - F10" then I can see all the partitions using diskpart and access the drives as they were formated using disk part.

The mad thing is if I copy the boot.wim file to my WDS server and boot off the network then it see's the drives fine, when the setup.exe run's

Here is my winpeshl.ini file

[LAUNCHAPPS]

x:\windows\system32\startnet.cmd

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\sources\setup.exe

Edited by lamaii

I've tested this again by deleting the winpeshl.ini in the boot.wim file, which causes the startnet.cmd file not to be run, and still get the same message box.

My next step is to use an unmodified boot.wim file and check if I get the same message, as it's only since making changes to the boot.wim that I have seen this problem.

Just tried using an unmodified boot.wim file and there is no change, need to figure out what is being called that is external to the boot.wim file which could be causing the fault.

Another test I'm now going to try is to use a clean source with my modified boot.wim file.

So I just tested a clean source and my modified boot.wim file and it's working fine. So it must be a problem with my current OS source disk or my modified install.wim file.

I've had a seach around and see if there is a limit to the wim file and it appears not. my install.wim is currently at 12GB.

Edited by lamaii

The:

A Required CD/DVD device driver is missing

has been a problem for some time in a USB initiated setup, cannot really understand, my mind reading capabilities being temporarily blocked, if this is your case.

Are you missing a hard disk OR a CD/DVD device?

Or you are missing a hard disk BUT you get a message about a CD/DVD device?

Maybe - just maybe - you can find in it some useful info:

http://reboot.pro/9076/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Found the problem

My boot.wim file is Win7 SP1 My install.win is also Win7 SP1, however my sources DVD was Win7 (no service pack)

So once I had replace all files in the sources folder (exlcuding boot & install wim) with Service pack 1 versions the error about adding the driver went away.

Edited by lamaii