Capture XP with WDS

Hi guys!

iamtheky

the user in post #5 does it just fine

Sorry, am I missing something here? Care to ellaborate?

Tripredacus

Did you send me such an email? Never received it....

"What OSes do you want to use" email.

bookie32

I think I may be missing why you want MDT in the mix...

...But we do absolutely no manipulation of our XP wims once they are captured, I see that your screenshots have one wide open in the toolkit. So a few lines to deploy the image in startnet is all we need in the XP deploy boot.wim that is offered from WDS (net use i:\blah , imagex /apply i:\blah\xp.wim 1 c:)

Unless you have ridiculous amount of XP images to maintain for many different systems.

I would certainly like to know you reasons for wanting MDT to handle them in case I can improve our process.

*making it a bit more legible, instead of the stream of thought it was initially

Edited by iamtheky

Tripredacus

Did you send me such an email? Never received it....

"What OSes do you want to use" email.

bookie32

I was referring to the production MDT server at my company...

:angel

I think I may be missing why you want MDT in the mix...

...But we do absolutely no manipulation of our XP wims once they are captured, I see that your screenshots have one wide open in the toolkit. So a few lines to deploy the image in startnet is all we need in the XP deploy boot.wim that is offered from WDS (net use i:\blah , imagex /apply i:\blah\xp.wim 1 c:)

Unless you have ridiculous amount of XP images to maintain for many different systems. I would certainly like to know in case I can improve our process.

I agree with this about XP. I had only used WIMs for XP, making an image for each system that was locked down to HAL, BIOS version and Video Card type. There was no "updating" of those images, if anything needed to be changed, I just made a new one. This was not really my decision, but it became way more important once the news broke that HP got caught making universal images and blew up because they had some AMD driver in there. Play it safe, especially if you are doing this in a company rather than for personal reasons. It was a lot of work but you end up documenting it and getting SOPs for the image creation process to follow. Its one reason why I'm glad I don't have to deal with XP (besides XPe) anymore, plus servicing 7 is way easier.

Regarding the process of deployment of XP images... Its in my sig. :whistle:

And I was incorrect when I said I had no OS loaded in my Test MDT Server... I do, but its not an install source like yours. I just see the Windows 7 Enterprise WIM in mine and you can't expand it out like your picture has for XP.

Hi again!

Sorry, you have lost me....not hard.... :lol:

OK! I had no specific reason for using MDT or WDS.....It was suggested to me to have a way to keep things organised...

So, after spending God knows how long getting deployment and capture of Windows 7 working with MDT I naturally assumed that this could be done with MDT or WDS....

No, I don't need to maintain hundreds of images...just up to date ones to save time when reinstalling a customer's computer....

Another reason for wanting somethig that caters for everything...the fact that most recovery software on computers is crap.........!!!

At the end of the day - it is the customer that gets the bill when I try to reset their computer (if hard drive is OK of course) and there is a bug of some kind.....

Cloning isn't always an answer...especially if there are damaged sectors on the drive...or riddled with virus and spyware....!!

Now the legallity of the situation....you tell me?! My customers have paid for a computer with a license that should be enough....not their fault that recovery crap is installed on their computer with a mass of other crap that just weighs and slows them down......

So, I say to my customers (if they didn't burn there recovery cd's, which don't always work anyway) is I can return your computer to factory settings (and not with user info remaining....also causes major problems), but I recommend a clean install and activation of license with their key...

If microsoft doesn't like my approach...they haven't said?!

When I build new computers I always recommend a retail license incase the computer dies they can move it to another computer.....

Am I missing something here?

Just want an easy to maintain way of keeping an up to date image that can be applied to any software and doesn't mean I have to wait for a computer to upgrade from XP sp1 to the present day before giving the computer back to the customer.....

I guess I can expect all kinds of response to this post.......just hope it isn't someone that has been brain washed by microsoft.... :angel

bookie32

BTW Just for the record... must customers opt for the return to factory settings if possible....am I wrong in wanting to back up an image that has been reset to factory settings and updated with all available updates in case of another crash...Many customers seem to be repeat offenders on that score.....even after paying me to reinstall their computers and update them...they go and shove a free antivirus software on the computer and **** it up again!!

Most just think it isn't going to cost anything for me to fix their computer?!!

Sorrry, getting on my soap box now....

Edited by bookie32

Now the legallity of the situation....you tell me?! My customers have paid for a computer with a license that should be enough....not their fault that recovery crap is installed on their computer with a mass of other crap that just weighs and slows them down......

So, I say to my customers (if they didn't burn there recovery cd's, which don't always work anyway) is I can return your computer to factory settings (and not with user info remaining....also causes major problems), but I recommend a clean install and activation of license with their key...

If microsoft doesn't like my approach...they haven't said?!

If you need to reload an OS and the customer does not have the media, you should reinstall it using the same type. If they had OEM, you reinstall using OEM, if Retail then Retail. They should always have a COA on their PC. Even if you can't get it to activate online, you can call it in. You can tell what OS type is installed by looking at the COA. If the COA has an OEM's name on it however, I'm not sure exactly what you'd need to do, although acquiring the recovery media would probably be good.

Some infos:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/antipiracy/pages/COA_hologram.aspx

There used to be a page with all the different COAs but it looks like that has been replaced, or I can't find it.

Hi mate!

Now that is interesting....

OK I never attempt an installation if the original COA isn't present....but I have noticed that ....before one could opt to ring and talk to someone personally...that still stands for Vista and Windows 7, but lately if I have needed to activate a license I call it in and the recorded message just tells me I have fallen victim of a pirate copy and I need to go on line and buy one.....?

That doesn't help me or my customer!!

Have you any advice about that?

bookie32