Help Integrating IE8 into XP Slipstream

johnmw1

Hi,

First post and apologies if this question has been asked before, but I did do a search and could find nothing very current.

I'm trying to create a new startup disc for XP which will include as much stuff as I can find including hopefully IE8.

I have downloaded X,s Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates for nLite without problem and have also downloaded the IE8 add-on creator which has also done it's thing without problem. And this is where I get confused when it mentions about replacing the three files with another three? At the moment the IE8 download is in a single 7Z file of about 12,400KB. What or how do I go ahead from here. I did unzip the file but I could not see anything resembling any XP KB numbers?

Help much appreciated, I'm getting old and just don't get it anymore. :blushing:

Cheers,

John

I don't understand what's so difficult.

1. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2586448-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2586448-x86-ENU.exe.
  2. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.
  3. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

Take WindowsXP-KB2586448-x86-ENU, WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe and WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe out of the updates folder and in their place put the IE8 ones. Then run nLite and add them all to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section. Make sure to start with an untouched source.

Edited by -X-

Hi X,

Thanks for that, finally after staring at the update folder the penny finally dropped and I could actually see all the KB updates looking back at me, dah (I was looking in the wrong folder). So I deleted those three files and downloaded and added the other three files, and yeah how simple could that have been. Now this is where my next bit of confusion starts and that is the IE8 creator. The file it created as I mentioned before is a 7z file, should that be unzipped and then placed in the update folder with all the rest, or does it just go in there as it is? :unsure:

Cheers,

John

Addons come in cab and 7z formats, you add them as such in the list, no handling required.

Hi Ponch,

Thanks for that, it is all starting to become a whole lot easier. :thumbup

Now my last part of the jigsaw will be the drivers. Having done lots of searching and reading I came across the DriverPacks.net, are they also OK to place into the Hotfixes & Updates?

Cheers,

John

NO they are definatly NOT ok to put in the hotfixes and updates section.

They come with their own integrator\app.

Please read further on their site and remember to do that step last.

Hi Kelsenellenelvian,

OK thanks for clarifying that, I obviously had not quite read enough. :D

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

1. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2586448-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2586448-x86-ENU.exe.
  2. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.
  3. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

Take WindowsXP-KB2586448-x86-ENU, WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe and WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe out of the updates folder and in their place put the IE8 ones.

Sorry if this is a dumb remark.....but in the 2nd swap, there is 1 character difference between the KB numbers. Is this still correct ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Again,

Sorry have been away for work for the last 4 or 5 weeks and so still have not had the opportunity to create my new start-up disc.

I have uploaded the latest XP file and deleted and added those three IE8 updates.

Have tried at least 4 times now to create this new disc but get to the point of integrating the hotfixes & updates and find that during the IE8 update that I'm presented with an error message that there is a problem and then nLite shuts down. I have no idea what the problem is as it just a lot of numbers and gobbody gook.

Should I perhaps not be trying to integrate IE8 into the updates?

Cheers,

John

Well I don't see anything really. Perhaps the path to your updates and add-ons is a bit long. You may want to try moving the UDC-11.10.11 folder to the root of C:\ and retry.

nLite shutting down would lead me to believe there is a problem with .NET Framework. Can you post a screenshot of the error dialog?

Well I don't see anything really. Perhaps the path to your updates and add-ons is a bit long. You may want to try moving the UDC-11.10.11 folder to the root of C:\ and retry.

nLite shutting down would lead me to believe there is a problem with .NET Framework. Can you post a screenshot of the error dialog?

Sure give me a small while as I will have to go thru the process again. What do you mean by the root of C:\ ?

Cheers,

John