USB cables and ports

vipejc

Are the USB cables that connect to the motherboard headers and have the USB ports that attach to the case replaceable? Can you buy them at a store? Can you remove the case ports, or would you need to buy a new case?

Do I need FrontX to replace a USB internal cable and port, or can I buy a new cable and port and install it myself? How are ports secured to the front of the PC? Are they glued or do you simply pull them out?

Do I need FrontX to replace a USB internal cable and port, or can I buy a new cable and port and install it myself? How are ports secured to the front of the PC? Are they glued or do you simply pull them out?

It varies by manufacturer. Some have a cable that has similar connectors on both ends. There may be a small PCB where your ports are, and also may have AV jacks on it too. I know Chenbro and Inwin FP aren't held in by glue, but you'd have to take your front cover off to see how yours is. They may also be held in with plastic clips.

Here is an example one from a desktop system:

2011-10-21103153.jpg

And here it is disconnected, connectors at bottom and the actual panel I put in the empty bay. Its all I had since the cables were tied up.

2011-10-21103339.jpg