OEM Windows XP CD

brianpals

Many is the time that I have tried to create an nLite unattended CD using my OEM Windows XP CD but I have never succeeded.

Is the OEM CD the cause of the problem, or could there be other causes?

Recently I've been getting the error message:

---------------------------

Error!

H-The specified executable is not a valid Win32 application.

Please report this error if it's unexpected.

Write your message in English and attach your 'Last Session.ini' if possible.

OK

The fact that I'm attaching 4 ini files must show that I'm totally confused! :-(

Brian

Last Session.ini

Last Session_u.ini

Last Session (2011.10.06-11.59.10).ini

Last Session (2011.10.06-11.59.10)_u.ini

H-The specified executable is not a valid Win32 application.

You're trying to integrate files (updates?) for WinXP 64bit in a 32bit edition (There is no Service Pack 3 for the 64-bit version of Windows XP so yours must be 32bit)

Hey, thanks very much for the speedy reply, Ponch! :-)

You are so right about it being a 32 bit system. Do I take it that all I have to do is remove all of the IA64_ files from my updates folder to get around this?

Mind you, I'm now getting problems copying the contents of the Windows XP CD to my hard drive so it'll be a few days before I check all of this out.

Thanks, once again.

Brian

Do I take it that all I have to do is remove all of the IA64_ files from my updates folder to get around this?

To get around this first error, yes. But I think you'll get other problems like you're integrating a file called wmplayer.exe, If it is the media player installer from Microsoft, it won't integrate as such, and your updates for. You need to check the addons subforum for programs as Internet Explorer and WMP. There are a lot of threads about these here as well. +Where did you get your updates ? They have strange file names.

Well, Ponch, it looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

When I read the instructions on the nLite website it all looked so easy. However, after this weekend I'll have plenty of time to hopefully check it all out and do it correctly.

I got the updates from here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Thanks.aspx?id=140

I downloaded them after looking at my download history. It was a bit of a pain as they all downloaded in folders and so I cut them all out into one main folder.

Can you advise me about the best way to go about all of this? Of course, I'm not expecting you to hold my hand on this... just a few website references to point me in the right direction would be great if you feel that that would be enough.

Thanks once again,

Brian

Your update list is a mess. I would chuck it all and use my UDC script available at http://xdot.tk/updates.html . It will download all the high-priority updates for an SP3 XP. If you want to slipstream IE8, download my IE8.Add-on.Creator.zip and replace the updates mentioned in footnotes, 4, 5 and 6.

For .NET use the ones found here.

Edited by -X-

Thanks very much for this, -X-.

As you say, it's a mess, but only if you know what you are looking at! :-)

Wow! What a website you have there. I think it's going to take me a few days to get myself sorted, especially considering my total lack of knowledge about .NET files and what they are used for.

Thanks, once again.

Brian

I only added the link to .NET add-ons because I saw you had some updates for it. I would avoid .NET if possible. It adds unnecessary bloat and has security issues.

Hi –X-

This is to thank you so much for all the information that made my latest nLite CD a success.

The SP3 integrated just fine. I’m not sure about all of the other updates as Add/Remove shows only 5 in there: KB898461, KB960859, KB970483, KB946648, and KB2564958.

The computer I tried it on isn’t connected to the Internet. Is there any other way to see if all of the other updates have integrated (they were certainly on the list in nLite)?

A few other hiccups included 3 files that couldn’t be copied off the disk during the install. The first one I didn’t take details of but it was very similar to the next two: adberdr60_ptb_full.exe & adberdr60_fra_full.exe. I've just searched my working machine and found them in Adobe Reader, so I'm not bothered about them as I prefer Foxit Reader, anyway.

I was also asked to verify the computer name, which had been inserted by the process correctly, so I must have missed something out in nLite. By the way, I still got that same H- message that I originally told you about, when compiling the nLite ISO.

MovieMaker also said the msdmo.dll file is missing but I haven’t really checked out any other Windows programs.

In all, I class this as a success, -X-, and I thank you very much!

If you can shed any light on the above, then that would be excellent, but no pressure as I still think this was a success.

Thanks once again.

Brian

Edited by brianpals

I’m not sure about all of the other updates as Add/Remove shows only 5 in there: KB898461, KB960859, KB970483, KB946648, and KB2564958.

That's normal. Those are the ones that install via the svcpack method.

The computer I tried it on isn’t connected to the Internet. Is there any other way to see if all of the other updates have integrated (they were certainly on the list in nLite)?

Open a command prompt and type systeminfo

I still got that same H- message that I originally told you about, when compiling the nLite ISO.

You must be using other updates that are not on my list. Please attach your last session.ini

MovieMaker also said the msdmo.dll file is missing

That file should be in system32. It is not part of an update. Something went wrong during setup or you have a suspect source.