Network Boot - Install with .wim*

tyraelshammer777

Heya guys. I've been playing with windows PE and I've managed to make some good images of my hard drive partitions using ImageX. I realize that this .wif image could potentially be used to install windows on a bunch of computers at the same time with minimal effort, if I first used sysprep and removed the key and HAL stuff before making the image - I get that part. Anyway, I wanted to learn how to install a .wif image like I have here using a network boot, from a server. I tried googling around and didn't get very far. Does anyone have a good page bookmarked on how to distribute a .wif image from a server to multiple computers over a network using network boot? I'll do the hard work, but I need a good web page or ebook on it if someone has it and doesn't mind. Cheers and thanks!

P.S. I'm all about free information. If someone has a torrent for an ebook off Piratebay or something, I'm all ears - but you might want to PM it. =]

Edited by tyraelshammer777

I realize that this .wif image could potentially be used to install windows on a bunch of computers at the same time with minimal effort

P.S. I'm all about free information. If someone has a torrent for an ebook off Piratebay or something, I'm all ears - but you might want to PM it. =]

What is a WIF file? Do you mean WIM file?

P.S. Forum rules apply to the PM system as well as the public board. :angry:

Let's go with this:

I want to have a blank machine network booting into a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine to install Windows 7 x86 from a .wim image stored on the server.

My school has granted me keys for both 2003 and 2008 server, so I could install either. I might as well be familiar with the most recent server program. My computer is Windows 7 x86 and that's what I've taken images of, so that's the one I would want to play with installing. I could also play with installing a windows XP MCE image if I wanted since I have that as well. I was hoping that installing a .wim image would be independent of which Windows OS it is, though. Maybe I was wrong? Anyway, thanks!