XP keeps rebooting

hemang

One of my XP computers is constantly rebooting, does not go into safe mode also. I have had this problem several times with other computers and the solution has always been as under :

1) Boot into recovery console and do "chkdsk c: /r"

2) Boot into UBCD4WIN and restore registry.

This has always worked but this time it does not.

Here is what I did so far

1) Ran chkdsk c: /f option from Recovery console, it showed 4Kb bad sectors at the end. Using UBCD4WIN I then restored registry, did not help

2) Tried chkdsk /r, as well as chkdsk /p options also, doing registry restore each time. Same problem

3) Made a f4ubcd and booted. Used HD Tune Pro trial and it showed a bad sector somewhere around 3.1Gb on C:. So I booted into Hiren's dos utilities and ran something called HDAT2 and it discovered and recovered the bad sector. Checked again and now there was no bad sector shown.

4) Again booted into recovery console and ran chkdsk c: /f and again it showed 4kb bad sector. Restored registry anyway but did not work.

Now what?

Currently trying chkdsk /r option and then fixboot (had done this too at some point before bad sector repair). Then will restore registry.

Is it rebooting while in Windows or does it not get that far?

Have you tried....

It is rebooting after showing Windows logo. As I mentioned in my first post, this has happened several times in past and always recovery console+UBCD4WIN have solved the problem but this time its not happening.

At the moment, I am taking Disk images to external HDD using F4UBCD (Sort of modified Hiren's CD). Took image using DriveImageXML and it did not give any error. Now taking image using DataRescus DD. After this I will try the option given by you, what should I expect to happen? If nothing works, I plan to format the disk and then restore the image, will that work?

Is it rebooting while in Windows or does it not get that far?

Have you tried....

I just tried it and got a blue screen with something like this

STOP: c000021a (Fatal system error)

The windows Logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down.

Yeah don't use warez and illegal software.

We cannot help you as the #1 rule of the forum here is against warez

I was also under the impression that Hiren is using pirated software. I also have UBCD4WIN if you can help with that.

However I did ask a question on the pirated part on F4UBCD and got this reply:

"Some of the software on the Restored versions of Hiren’s has software that require a license. we call those commerical programs. However, you are under NO obligation to use such software. I would not call those versions pirated software as there are no cracks or things of that nature that need to be implemented. One I know of actually installs the Trial version of the software…If you feel that you want to buy the software before you know if it is effective or not… Go right ahead. I personally have liked several of the commerical tools and have purchased licenses for those tools so I can used on or off the disc anytime I want. I think helpful application developers need to be supported."

Pls see http://falconfour.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/falconfours-ultimate-boot-cdusb-4-5/comment-page-2/#comment-519.

If this CD is a warez, I will not use it, please give me instructions to restore my computer with UBCD4WIN instead.

They are skipping a vital point.

It includes a PE environment This is a "Live" version of windows and is technically a licensed ms product.

As such they are distributing MS windows which is a huge no-no :no:

As for using ubcd and ubcd4win this is a OK process as you provide the windows software.

I am sure (Giving the assurance you will drop the warez usage) someone will be able to help you.

You also need to note that nLite is not for business or corporate uses....

They are skipping a vital point.

It includes a PE environment This is a "Live" version of windows and is technically a licensed ms product.

As for using ubcd and ubcd4win this is a OK process as you provide the windows software.

I am sure (Giving the assurance you will drop the warez usage) someone will be able to help you.

You also need to note that nLite is not for business or corporate uses....

Okay I understand now, will not use this CD again.

Would appreciate if someone can give me the procedure using UBCD4WIN which I have compiled myself using licensed XP Pro CD.

I completely agree that you are against warez, but you must also be knowing that it is very easy to download pirated XP ISO image and make the UBCD4WIN CD. A person may easily lie that he has used genuine source.

Well, no.

Re-distributing non-redistributable software is a no-no, no matter if MS or not.

Re-distributing software in a modified form (if the license does not allow such redistribution, i.e. allows ONLY re-distribution in an unmodified form) is a no-no.

Re-distributing software removing it's accomapanying license or hiding it or by-passing the acknowledgment of the License terms, is also a no-no.

Obviously IMHO.

jaclaz

Ok, now I am waiting for some real advice. In the meanwhile doing as per this :

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/250814-stop-c000021a-fatal-system-error/page__view__findpost__p__1624689

I have a question though. I have made a UBCD4WIN using a licensed XP Pro disk but the same disk can boot on every computer, and repair even XP home installations!

Sometimes my friend also takes it to repair his computer. So if the F4UBCD is made using a licensed XP disk, is it still warez? After all one cannot use it for anything other than diagnosis and repair purpose. Maybe these questions are for another thread, you can ignore them. I would rather solve my current problem than have a debate on Microsoft.

Edit : It seems that Hiren's latest 14.1 CD does not have licensed software (apart from MiniXP itself)

Edited by Tripredacus