Flashing cursor after 2008 R2 deployment

I am working on a modification of the GImageX HTA to have the ability to deploy images to a GPT disk. When this is finished, I will be able to post some code for people who want to update it. The problem I am encountering is that after a reboot, I am getting a flashing cursor when trying to boot off the HDD. First here is some reference info:

Manage Multiple UEFI-based Hard Disks

I have created a Server 2008 R2 SP1 image and it is on the WDS. It is the base OS + a NIC driver. Normal deployment to an MBR disk works fine, this was tested on both a notebook and a server board. For the UEFI platform, I have the following items:

Intel S5520HC with 1 Xeon CPU and a 2GB RAM

Seagate Barracuda XT 3000GB

Here is the general process I am using to set the system up and deploy the image:

DISKPART

sel disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create part efi size=100
sel part 1
format fs=fat32 label="System" quick
assign letter=s
create part msr size=128
create part pri
sel part 3
format fs=ntfs label="LocalDisk" quick
assign letter=c

Use imagex to apply WIM to C:

run BCDBOOT C:\WINDOWS

reboot

Then I get the flashing cursor.

I confirmed that all partitions are created properly (as above) and that the data is actually on the C vol.

What step am I missing?

Does the base image off of a default 2008 R2 SP1 installation work on the system? I'm not sure how well imaging will work if the original system making the image was not UEFI-based, if it will even work at all. I've never tried, honestly.

I confirmed that all partitions are created properly (as above) and that the data is actually on the C vol.

What step am I missing?

You also checked the MBR ?

Or we have another chapter of "The mistery of the vanishing MBR CODE" saga? :w00t::ph34r:

"GPT, the mistery continues...."

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I know, I said this is "Flashing Cursor Month" earlier. B)

I may wait until tomorrow and try a different board. Anything I can find about using a GPT "disk" on an Intel server board has to do with enabling RAID, rather than using a single 3TB disk in the system. Also, it appears this board (among other current products) do not support either installing or booting Windows from a GPT disk, but again it refers to the Embedded RAID controller.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/CS-031582.htm

I hear maybe I can use one of the Sandy Bridge (6x ) series Desktop boards to do this. But if this isn't supported either I am wondering why I got this project. :huh:

Of course, I can always go back to the "Why would you want 2TB+ for your boot volume" question but customers then think you are making them feel dumb for wanting such a thing. :angel

Of course, I can always go back to the "Why would you want 2TB+ for your boot volume" question but customers then think you are making them feel dumb for wanting such a thing. :angel
Well, sometimes you do have to tell customers (in a very polite but concise way) that this *is* dumb. There's no reason to have a boot volume that large, although with Win8 it will "just work" anyway. With 2008 R2, you still have a bunch of issues with UEFI boot to GPT, even if it is officially supported. I can tell you it's not really tested much at all (although MDT 2012 and SCCM 2012 will have pretty good support for GPT and UEFI).

I know, I said this is "Flashing Cursor Month" earlier. B)

JFYI maybe you can try using a hybrid MBR, info here:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

jaclaz

Its always good to know there are methods and people willing to figure out new ways to do things. However this isn't anywhere close to being a pet project that would allow me to use such methods. Any method I find to do this needs to be fully supported by Microsoft, as they will be used on systems meant for resale.

BTW I am checking on the whole "can an image made on MBR be used on GPT disk" question... emails away!

You may be correct about that, even tho it isn't documented! I just tried to use an Intel DQ67OW and enable UEFI boot, but the OS still isn't booting and I am getting the same results. My emails are unanswered at the moment, but I know my reps are at BUILD so I shouldn't be so surprised. :rolleyes:

Update: I was able to do a new install from the DVD that put the OS on the GPT disk and formatted the full volume. However there is no MSR partition... Here was how to do it.

1. Enable UEFI boot.

2. Use boot menu and choose UEFI DVD (there is a regular DVD there too, even tho this is USB DVD drive)

3. Boot off Server 2008 R2 DVD (usb key inserted with answer file)

4. At the first page, SHIFT+F10 for CMD. Use Diskpart to clean DISK 0 and CONVERT GPT

5. Continue install as normal.

That's it. So I will try to capture this image and redeploy it with Imagex and see if that works.

Edited by Tripredacus

On an interesting note, after installing Server 2008 R2 with UEFI, a UEFI option appears as a prefix to the HDD in the boot menu. After imaging it, this option disappears, however a "Windows Boot Manager" option is then available that doesn't do anything. I need to reload again and capture the System Reserved partition and try to apply that and see what happens.

Updates: I seem to have the correct method here, but the problem lies with WinPE not being able to see the BCD store on the OS volume after deployment. The reason for this appears to be that in order to deploy a UEFI image using WinPE, it must be booted from a UEFI enabled device, such as a CD/DVD or a USB drive. Unfortunately, my WinPE boots from PXE.

Some additional reading:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/uefiguide.mspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc765951%28WS.10%29.aspx

New topic created specifically for the UEFI issue in Hardware Hangout.

Edited by Tripredacus