Windows 8 Developer Preview download available

Mr Snrub

Things I've figured out so far:

1. You can't install it from within Server 2008 R2 SP1. It basically says that OS is un upgradable!

2. If you boot the DVD, the "advanced" drive options doesn't give the ability to delete partitions... but you can Format them... hope this works.

The Task Manager is something dreamy! One tab even shows dependent processes! :wub:

The non-tools version doesn't seem to have a command prompt?

Its interesting, but It would be nicer with a touch-screen for sure. :yes:

Tomorrow I'll check out the games and try to tweet with it. Then I'll try to get it to do a BSOD, that would be great! :w00t:

You mean this thing?

cmd.png

Win+F, select apps, type cmd (or just start typing cmd at the start screen).

Also, BSODs are easy - just run it in VPC or VirtualBox, and it'll do it for you pretty quickly ;). And yes, touch screens make a world of difference, but using it with a tablet and a keyboard/mouse attached is frankly VERY useful. I'm thinking this Samsung is going to be my new "laptop" very soon.

the new startscreen is a disaster :realmad::no: I never had such an bad UX :puke::thumbdown I have to search several minutes to do the simplest basics. Hopefully we can select which startmenu we want to use on desktop systems. On touch based tablets it may be really cool but it sucks completely with Mouse and keyboard. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

It also runs with VMWare Workstation 8. I have no issues with VirtualBox.

And I have the exact opposite experience - the start pane just "makes sense" to me, and everything is exactly where I'd expect them to be. It works for me either on keyboard/mouse or touch, although I would like to see the ability to disable it simply to sell copies of Windows 8 to folks who are stuck in 1995 ;).

This teletubby style is nothing for me. For a touch monitor it is nice, but not for a Desktop PC with mouse/keyboard. MSFT made the mistake several years to force tablet users to run a non touch UI, now they force the PCs users to use a Touch UI. THIS DOESN'T WORK! Apple also doesn't use MacOSX on the iPad and normal Mac ;) If I can't turn this crap in the RTM off, I don't use Windows 8. That's simple :whistle:

Renaming the shsxs.dll fixes it in the Developer Preview. I have the old/1000 times faster Windows 7 Startmenu back + all improvements from the Windows 8 kernel + Hyper-V. This is what I wanted for Windows 7 and now I have it after 2 years :)

Edited by MagicAndre1981

I've only played briefly with the client and server in VMs, but the jury is still out on the Metro interface right now... however as a Windows Phone 7 user I'm probably a bit more inclined to accept it as a Good Thing before the majority.

It did take me a long time to stop immediately reverting to "classic start menu" mode on XP, but I got to use the "libraries" feature of Windows 7 a lot more quickly, so I'm less of a luddite these days :)

I do like the idea of chrome-less apps, including the web browser, filling the screen... but I have to wonder if my working style will need to change (even with 2 screens, I have a lot of not-quite-maximized windows that overlap).

I love the file copy process dialogue boxes with the current & historical throughput, with ability to pause, and the new Task Manager is very cool.

Built-in opening/mounting of ISOs and VHD through the shell is very handy and time saving for my kind of work.

Hyper-V in the x64 client is a welcome addition, I know a lot of people have been wanting to run 64-bit VMs on laptopes without needing to install Server and losing all the power features - though the SLAT-enabled CPU requirement might throw a few people.

There will undoubtedly be plenty of "so, where did they put the... ahhh, there it is..." moments in my future :)

This teletubby style is nothing for me. For a touch monitor it is nice, but not for a Desktop PC with mouse/keyboard. MSFT made the mistake several years to force tablet users to run a non touch UI, now they force the PCs users to use a Touch UI. THIS DOESN'T WORK! Apple also doesn't use MacOSX on the iPad and normal Mac ;) If I can't turn this crap in the RTM off, I don't use Windows 8. That's simple :whistle:

In all seriousness, you should use what works for you, but Microsoft is betting that PCs will become mostly obsolete in the coming years, and they are probably correct. Consumers buy more tablets and iPads than ever before, and Microsoft's sales of Windows are stagnant (PCs). Given that tablet-style devices are really still in their infancy, once they become more mature (and an OS like this is sure to help that along), I'm guessing developers will end up needing to learn how to use the new UI (c'mon, it's not that bad - if you stop thinking in old Start Menu terms, it does work), or stick with unsupported software. I would be surprised if there's not a way to disable that in RTM, but I've been wrong before...

For what it's worth, I spend my days going to customer sites and seeing how users are migrating IT first-hand, and tablets are the thing. If Microsoft can get on that, they will save the company's bottom line (and make a whole host of very large customers very happy). If they don't do this, Apple will get a larger foothold in enterprises worldwide, moreso than they already have, and Android devices won't be far behind. Like it or not, this is the future. I for one would rather have a PC in tablet form than a toy.