Parallel phone connections and two modems attached to them

kumarkumar

If while you are fiddling with them someone calls, you would learn about the 100 V + ring voltage, only the hard way ;).

jaclaz

LOL, I remember that from when I was 12 years old and wanted a phone in my room.

In my last apartment after moving and waiting to buy a house I ran my Cat 5 lines all around the apartment using the following items.

1 DSL modem whichever type you may have.

8 Port Switch http://tinyurl.com/64xs27c

1 Container of Coaxial Clips http://tinyurl.com/6349duq

Nail Hole Filler http://tinyurl.com/3mqsety

Run 1 cable from DSL modem to your switch and run as many cables as you may need from switch to your computers. Runnining the cable up close to the wall/ceiling or baseboard area is easy using the coaxial clips listed above and when you move you pull them out and fill the holes with Nail Hole filler or wall putty or similiar. One note though when running cable DO NOT run it in a TIGHT 90 degree shape. Two 45 degree is good and a good gradual radiused curve is even better, when going through a door run the cable underneath and bring up the other side. If your in a corner use a fake plant to hide it or a small piece of furniture. A friend has ran his cable throughout his condo with the above method and has actually painted it the same color as his walls and ceiling. If you are looking for it you can see it but otherwise it is mostly hidden. Your other option is to go wireless, which for people in apartments is great. The wall outlet items that jaclaz spoke of are IMHO JUNK. I tested some for a client as that was what he was wanting and by showing him the performance of them he returned them to the store. If you look at the reviews of them they have a bad bad history of everything from not operating properly to performance annd interference issues.

jd

[One note though when running cable DO NOT run it in a TIGHT 90 degree shape. Two 45 degree is good and a good gradual radiused curve is even better, when going through a door run the cable underneath and bring up the other side. If your in a corner use a fake plant to hide it or a small piece of furniture.

Yep :), but the point is WHY cables should be as straight as possible. ;)

:whistling:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21827&st=23

:lol:

jaclaz

[One note though when running cable DO NOT run it in a TIGHT 90 degree shape. Two 45 degree is good and a good gradual radiused curve is even better, when going through a door run the cable underneath and bring up the other side. If your in a corner use a fake plant to hide it or a small piece of furniture.

Yep :), but the point is WHY cables should be as straight as possible. ;)

:whistling:

http://www.911cd.net...pic=21827&st=23

:lol:

jaclaz

LOL That is a good one. I'll have to remember it. Like getting the caramel carbuerator cleaner for the chrome muffler bearings and fuel injected lug nuts.:lol: The old times everything was analog so it just flowed like goo!

jd

Sure.

But you need to disconnect the wires.

You are in a situation like:

----*-----

----*-----

Where the left side lines or dot are (for the sake of the example) the phone line coming in and the right side ones are the line going to a "next" phone socket (the * being the actual "first" phone socket)

You have to disconnect the wires on one side of the socket, like:

----* ----

----* -----

and measure with a multimeter the Voltage on botth the wires still connected to the socket and on the the ones that were disconnected.

Use ~ (Alternate Current) and a relatively HIGH Voltage setting on the multimeter, it depend on countries and standard (and actual REN number and what not) but a common telephone line may well be at around 48 V and when ringing well above 100 V. :ph34r:

jaclaz

I tried measuring voltage. Strangely it showed zero or negligible AC voltage on my multimeter, even though DSL works.

I have naked DSL, meaning I don't have telephone connection in the line. There is never any dial tone.

Then i would do things like this:

- get a long (at least able to go from one room to another) free wire (it could be a power cable or any electrical cable) and you only need one wire.

- This wire will be used to increase the size of the multimeter probe.

- connect a wire coming from the wall to the free wire using an electrical cable joiner (for example, as you could use anything but be sure the wires in the wall aren't in contact).

- now go in every other room with the free wire connected and check with the multimeter ( set to Ohms) if you get zero between the free wire and a wire coming from the wall. Once you found one, you can stop as all wires should be electrically isolated.

- repeat this process for every wire you weren't able to track down (if you found that one wire in wall from room 1 go to room 2 then there should be at least another one going there and you don't to try the already found wire in room 2).

The main phone wires should be only ones you won't find.

As this process is very long, you might want retry the solution given by Jaclaz as there are a lot less possibilities.

Edited by allen2

A "pure" DSL line should be at a much lower voltage, something around 5 V , but without a DSL modem connected, this may drop to something like or 3 Volts. (it greatlòy depends on the actual standard used and on the actual hardware is on the "other side" of the DSL line.

The "non connected side" will anyway be at 0 V. ;)

jaclaz