How to download all High-Priority and Optional updates

vipejc

I want to archive every XP high-priority update and some optional XP updates. I also want to archive every Internet Explorer 8, .NET Framework 1.1 to 4, Media Player 11, etc., update.

But there's so many and I have no idea how I would compile the list. The Microsoft Download Center doesn't even find some updates, but if you Google them, they're right there. Some updates supercede others, and I have no idea how to tell which updates are old or needed. Is there a folder or registry key that lists EVERY XP update I ever installed?

For the registry key, you can find the most installed hotfixes (all should be there) there:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix

Why don't any of the KB000000 registry keys contain data for the Installed On REG_SZ?

Why don't any of the KB000000 registry keys contain data for the Installed On REG_SZ?

No idea and "Installed On" is also empty on my end. Perhaps another member knows why.

Also, this MSKB contains a little more information about the reg entries for hotfixes.

Edited by allen2

It's a good thing I ask the questions Google can never answer. Good work, gang. I'm sure it'll help a lot of people wanting to keep their Windows disc patch-updated.

Does WUD support all Windows updates, such as IE8 and .NET Framework, or just critical OS updates? And if an update type is incompatible with either WUD or nLite, will the respective program pop up an error dialog box informing the user, or silently fail without knowledge until you attempt to install the OS, which will fail as a result?

Edited by vipejc