Offline registry with DISM

I need to make a registry change in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet. When I mount the image with DISM and mount the System hive, I do not see CurrentControlSet. This is the command I used to mount the registry hive:

reg load HKLM\test c:\mount\windows\system32\config\system

I see folders contained in the hive, but not the one I need. Is this folder unable to be edited in offline mode?

Edited by Sand Man

I need to make a registry change in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet. When I mount the image with DISM and mount the System hive, I do not see CurrentControlSet. This is the command I used to mount the registry hive:

reg load HKLM\test c:\mount\windows\system32\config\system

I see folders contained in the hive, but not the one I need. Is this folder unable to be edited in offline mode?

CurrentControlSet does NOT actually "exist". :w00t:

When the Registry is ONLINE a LINK is made to EITHER of ControlSet001 or ControlSet002 (normally, but there may be many more ControlSets) depending on contents of the Select (Current) key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select

You can also use this app:

http://reboot.pro/11212/

http://reboot.pro/11312/

that automatically does the "detection".

jaclaz

CurrentControlSet isn't available in an offline hive. Its typically going to be the 001 that you want to edit but you'll have to do some testing. I've sometimes have had to change 002 or 003 to get settings to "work".

EDIT: beat me to it.

Edited by Tripredacus

When I mounted the hive on my image, I had both ControlSet001 and ControlSet002. I will update the keys for both locations and see if it works. Thanks for the help!

WHY? :w00t:

You should as said check WHICH one will become CurrentControlSet and change ONLY that one (or use the given alternate app that will allow you to use the CurrentControlSet and resolve internally/automatically the addressing to the right ControlSetxyz)

The whole idea of having two ControlSets is to have one that is (supposedly) failsafe.

If by mistake you "botch" BOTH sets, you will have quite a bit of problems in fixing the issue you provoked yourself :ph34r: (i.e. otherwise a non-issue)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz