See list of pending Windows updates

rickh101

New member here. Appreciate everyone and any hlep would be appreciate. Been surfing around quite a bit and am surprised that the following question is so slippery (or me dense!).

I keep getting the same failed installations. I suspect I don't need them and would like to remove them from the list of updates that keep being installed. Giant, time-consuming, resource-killing pain!

So: How can I see the list of pending updates and "manage items" (i.e., remove) individually?

Many thanks . . .

Welcome.

This is -X-'s list of high-priority updates http://xdot.tk/updates.html You can always go for update packs, which integrate into nLite easily. Use search in this forum or Google. Otherwise, you can't directly integrate .NET Frameworks, DirectX, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer 8, Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010 Redistributables... Luckily, there are add-ons to help you with these http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/132-application-add-ons/ Do some reading and report back

Cheers

I believe he's talking about his running system Sp0iLedBrAt.

So you have an update failing that continues to be re-offered? You can easily tell Windows to not show you that update again but I wouldn't recommend it. Just visit WU with IE to see the list of pending updates. http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Uncheck any you don't want to show again and check don't show me this update again but like I said, I don't recommend it. Most updates are security related and you run the risk of getting infected/hacked.

Why not tell us which update is failing instead and we can fix it?

Edited by -X-

So you have an update failing that continues to be re-offered? You can easily tell Windows to not show you that update again but I wouldn't recommend it. Just visit WU with IE to see the list of pending updates. Why not tell us which update is failing instead and we can fix it?

Yes, this is how I read it too...OP, in addition to telling us which update, you can try looking at WindowsUpdate.log in your Windows directory. When the system installs something through the WUA service, it logs any error results or whatever happens into that file. You should be able to find some information there. Or if worse comes to worse, download the offline installable version of the patch, run it, and see what error boxes are presented.

But it's generally never wise to ignore security patches for a number of reasons.

You can also check the KB???????.log files in the Windows directory to check for errors. These logs are a lot smaller and easier to read than WindowsUpdate.log. ;)

Thanks to all for the excellent, informative help. A little backgroung, then the logs. I have my updates set to Auto at 3:00 when I'm (hopefully) sleeping. Sure enough, according to WindowUpdate.log, it did it's thing. The same five failures occured; no messages on my panel. So when I turn the box off to go to work (aka, the Coffee Shop), it attempt to run updates again, killing about 15 minutes, informing me that updates are under way and giving a dire warning to NOT turn off my computer...hence the repetitive waste of time. First, the simple question....I tell Updates to try at 3 am; why is it trying again every time I power down?

FYI, I'm at XP Pro, SP3.

From the log: For Error 1 and error 5, I list the whole log entry. for 2-4, just the object that failed:

1) REPORT EVENT: {999D823B-D51C-4859-B577-AB37B6E9AFCB} 2011-08-31 03:01:21:562-0700 1 195 101 {61DCAB34-53C0-4866-84E3-83B157E1D644} 100 80070643 AutomaticUpdates Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB959209) x86.

2) Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241).

3) Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4 (KB2463332).

4) Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2539631).

5) REPORT EVENT: {DBCC8C20-05EC-421E-90D2-EE7D6637AF2F} 2011-08-31 03:15:07:140-0700 1 195 101 {FF0863F8-1E9D-4C0B-91A2-7EF1E2FAF357} 101 80070643 AutomaticUpdates Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864).

What I notice is that they are all (except #1) for a SP that I'm not on (SP2, 3.5 or 4 - I'm at SP3). I'm grasping at straws. Thanks, folks.